Whats your favourite christmas music/album? i need inspiration

(37 Posts)
MonthlyName Mon 12-Nov-12 10:04:13

I've decided I need new Christmas music this year. I currently have some mix cd's of the typical Christmas songs I made years ago and don't shoot me the 2 glee Christmas albums. But I need new ones. I would quite like some back ground type ones, I.e. Christmas carols / piano ones and also someone singing. Maybe Michael bubble type?
So hit me with your favourites and improve my Christmas music listening!

Taffeta Fri 30-Nov-12 19:29:43

My favourite is this

Fave track ever is Louis Armstrong's "Zat you Santa Claus?" grin

TheElfOnThePanopticon Fri 30-Nov-12 20:49:03

I got the free spotify last Christmas just for making Christmas playlists on.

Ella at Christmas

I love the Phil Spector, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox and Bobby Dylan ones too!

Off to google Kate Rusby's.

Songs I particularly love are 2000 miles by the Pretenders, The Power of Love and Fairytale of New York.

Zooey Deschanel does a Christmas album under the name of her group she and him or him and her or whatever its called <not helpful emoticon>

DewDr0p Fri 30-Nov-12 21:42:49

Ella wishes you a swinging Christmas is very festive - Ella Fitzgerald

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Fri 30-Nov-12 23:37:39

If you like choral music, type John Rutter into Youtube and then select Angel's Carol, Donkey Carol or Shepherd's Pipe Carol for a listen. He's been a Christmas essential of mine since DD2's godmother introduced me to his music years ago.

WantAnOrange Sat 01-Dec-12 07:55:22

I like the Michael Buble one.

DH likes a Heavy Metal Christmas - good for a laugh but I am poncy like more traditional ones on the day.

Himalaya Sat 01-Dec-12 08:08:13

It has to be Phil Spector

Relatively unknown but sufjan Stevens is amazing. He released several Christmas albums including original compositions and his own arrangements of traditional carols. I am totally addicted to listening to them. Can't link as I'm on phone, but very easy to find on YouTube

WingDefence Sat 01-Dec-12 17:48:14

Sufjan Stevens is fab waves smile

I have to say, ever since I was a child the soundtrack to Christmas day itself has been Tijuana Christmas. I found it recently on Spotify (it's got a red cover with a man wearing a mexican sombrero and playing a trumpet on it) and it makes me so nostalgic.

Not to everyone's taste but if you want some 70s/80s cheese...! grin

Back on the laptop - here is a link to Sufjan Stevens - this one is quite sad (Sister Winter)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCdS5S20dg

but he also does this much more cheery original song, Put the Lights on the Tree

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKzXlqsOeE

mumbaisapphire Sun 02-Dec-12 23:10:56

I second anyone who has mentioned the Phil Spector Christmas Gift to you album. It's Motown meets Christmas and has been the soundtrack to all my Christmases ever since I was little and my parents stuck it on the record player! ''Santa Claus is coming to town' , 'frosty the snowman' you name it it's there. Love it!

DoubleMum Tue 04-Dec-12 12:05:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now