Whats your favourite christmas music/album? i need inspiration

(37 Posts)
hhhhhhh Mon 12-Nov-12 10:04:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Taffeta Fri 30-Nov-12 19:29:43

My favourite is this

Fave track ever is Louis Armstrong's "Zat you Santa Claus?" grin

TheElfOnThePanopticon Fri 30-Nov-12 20:49:03

I got the free spotify last Christmas just for making Christmas playlists on.

Ella at Christmas

I love the Phil Spector, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox and Bobby Dylan ones too!

Off to google Kate Rusby's.

Songs I particularly love are 2000 miles by the Pretenders, The Power of Love and Fairytale of New York.

Zooey Deschanel does a Christmas album under the name of her group she and him or him and her or whatever its called <not helpful emoticon>

DewDr0p Fri 30-Nov-12 21:42:49

Ella wishes you a swinging Christmas is very festive - Ella Fitzgerald

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Fri 30-Nov-12 23:37:39

If you like choral music, type John Rutter into Youtube and then select Angel's Carol, Donkey Carol or Shepherd's Pipe Carol for a listen. He's been a Christmas essential of mine since DD2's godmother introduced me to his music years ago.

WantAnOrange Sat 01-Dec-12 07:55:22

I like the Michael Buble one.

DH likes a Heavy Metal Christmas - good for a laugh but I am poncy like more traditional ones on the day.

Himalaya Sat 01-Dec-12 08:08:13

It has to be Phil Spector

Relatively unknown but sufjan Stevens is amazing. He released several Christmas albums including original compositions and his own arrangements of traditional carols. I am totally addicted to listening to them. Can't link as I'm on phone, but very easy to find on YouTube

WingDefence Sat 01-Dec-12 17:48:14

Sufjan Stevens is fab waves smile

I have to say, ever since I was a child the soundtrack to Christmas day itself has been Tijuana Christmas. I found it recently on Spotify (it's got a red cover with a man wearing a mexican sombrero and playing a trumpet on it) and it makes me so nostalgic.

Not to everyone's taste but if you want some 70s/80s cheese...! grin

Back on the laptop - here is a link to Sufjan Stevens - this one is quite sad (Sister Winter)

but he also does this much more cheery original song, Put the Lights on the Tree

mumbaisapphire Sun 02-Dec-12 23:10:56

I second anyone who has mentioned the Phil Spector Christmas Gift to you album. It's Motown meets Christmas and has been the soundtrack to all my Christmases ever since I was little and my parents stuck it on the record player! ''Santa Claus is coming to town' , 'frosty the snowman' you name it it's there. Love it!

DoubleMum Tue 04-Dec-12 12:05:14

Just got this, really enjoying it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now