What not to waste your money on for the DC this Christmas-

(300 Posts)

I will start, get the DCs wish lists ready to cross them off-

Elefun. Should be renamed Ele IMO.

Golden Coin Maker. Just don't.

Any more suggestions?

SissySparkles Thu 08-Nov-12 20:15:10

ANY character playset - Peppa Pig, Octonauts, Fireman Sam, Ben and Holly etc. The figures are fine on their own but the buildings and vehicles are plasticy shite that doesn't work and falls apart.

Monkey Dunk

Polly pocket sets. The dolls are ok the rest is plastic tat that works nothing like the adverts show.

Play doh sets. The basic dough and cutters are great but the ice cream maker and other sets are impossible for small kids to work by themselves. And they need regular cleaning to get all the dried out bits of play doh out of all the little tiny nooks and crannies angry

Aquadoodle. What's the point? Water gets everywhere. Needs constantly refilling with water. DD wanted to just LICK THE MAT and laugh hmm What's wrong with crayons and paper?

Jigsaws where you get 2 or more 40 piece jigsaws in one box. So you have to spend 30 mins separating the pieces into individual jigsaws before DC can even start. Also jigsaw books, pieces constantly all over the floor because they fall out and you have to spend ages putting them back angry

Innotab. Great idea. Battery life is shit. You spend £££ on batteries or spend your life rechanging the bastards. Why not make it with an inbuilt battery that can be recharged with a plug LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE??????????????

Crap character furniture <looking at YOU PIL> At the end of the day you have to have it in your house. And look at it. Ditto huge hulking plastic monstrosities like play kitchens / shops.

Fijit friend. Just so annoying.

SissySparkles Thu 08-Nov-12 20:19:24

OH I have another.

Those huge gigantic teddies. The ones that are bigger than your child. <looking at YOU SIL> It sits in the corner being ignored and collecting dust for 4 years until you burn the bastard in the back garden on bonfire night.

When Ds2 was v little I started a cute thing of Santa bringing him a small soft toy every year. He's 10. I am still buying soft toys. hmm

armani Thu 08-Nov-12 20:23:18

I second the baby Chou Chou magic pacifier. Dd begged for it last year, I paid £40 for the bloody thing and the dummy was impossible to put in its mouth! Load of shite!

ContinentalKat Thu 08-Nov-12 20:40:17

Lalaloopsy. Can't even sit because the head is so big and heavy. Dd played with hers for exactly 2 minutes since she got it.

Hot wheels, moon sand and remote control everything also utterly crap.

Mousetrap should be illegal!

I also hate cheap tat, aka stocking fillers. Sure marketing people just rename birthday part bag fillers for Christmas. We don't do stockings, not sure if dcs actually know what they are!

Growlithe Thu 08-Nov-12 21:01:13

Twister Dance. Four rubber spots and a crappy music speaker with a few coloured lights. Plays Britney Spears too.

Taken back to shop. Reason given? It's rubbish. Manager used his discretion and gave us a refund because he agreed with us.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 08-Nov-12 21:09:57

We have boxes of crappy hotwheels track that doesn't stay together.

I tried to get rid of our Moonsand on Freecycle, nobody wanted it. I was rather honest in my post though.

We got Elefun from the charity shop, so don't feel too hard done by, but it mostly just causes fights.

We also had the rubbish Ben 10 tiny alien maker thing. Oh and Transformers these days don't. I'm sure I remember the old ones actually used to transform, not just break.

nellyjelly Thu 08-Nov-12 22:27:26

Moonsand is awful.

baskingseals Thu 08-Nov-12 22:50:43

both the new and old ben 10 watch. they are both as crap as each other.

not had a lot of joy from the perfume laboratory sets. very fiddly and took too long.

fisherprice camera - utter shite.

aqua beads. nasty little fuckers they are.

micro light helicopters. didn't even last one session.

god there's loads more.

We found the Dr Who lego sets a load of rubbish. It took ages for me to put together, and then fell apart if anyone so much as looked at it.

BeauNeidel Thu 08-Nov-12 22:57:27

We love Elefun in this house! Have just had a sort out of most of the toys in this house today - I am amazed (and embarrassed!) how many Happy Meal toys we had blush

bedmonster Thu 08-Nov-12 23:07:54

hmm We have had most of the fucking pieces of shit toys mentioned.

I will just generally add that ALL JOHN ADAMS toys are to be avoided at all costs. Magic coin maker, super graffix, magic gift non wrapper, egg maker.

Read the reviews on amazon. And believe them.

SissySparkles Thu 08-Nov-12 23:20:25

bedmonster - does that include Gross Science? That's what DD has asked for for Xmas. I have my doubts....

Hippee Thu 08-Nov-12 23:23:30

EndoplasmicReticulum - you don't live in Harrogate do you? I saw Moonsand advertised on Freecycle and thought "ooh, what a good idea, I can advertise ours too", then I read the description and thought "too true - no-one will want it now". It truly should come with a health warning. Ditto Moondough.

Really hate anything that needs batteries.

bedmonster Thu 08-Nov-12 23:31:11

Ah, now Sissy we haven't had that one, but I am going out on a limb here and saying that one will be shit too. But check the amazon reviews really, the ones we have had all had shit reviews so can hardly be surprised.
Am now ingnoring the fact that DD wants Waggletagz for impending birthday...

Brandnewbrighttomorrow Thu 08-Nov-12 23:37:08

Yep, we've wasted time and money on: elefun, bendaroos, buckaroo, innotab, vtech camera, moonsand, ridiculously heavy balance bike, hex bugs - AND the rubbish track. Oh and the cheap imitation crap Lego.

Like the aqua doodle though!

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 08-Nov-12 23:42:13

We have gone through elefun, kerplunk, hungry hippos, buckeroo, fustration and I'm sure there has been more. I am still convinced if I was a better mum and had a "games" cupboard and played with them all those games would still have their pieces and not be chucked away now.

Preferthedogtothekids Thu 08-Nov-12 23:58:21

I can't believe all the Furby haters! Our 10plus year old Furby sits on the kitchen shelf and chats to us sometimes. He's part of the family!

winnybella Fri 09-Nov-12 00:04:07

So what's wrong with Elefun, then? DD really wants it for Christmas. Is it just that it needs extra strong batteries?

2MumsAreBetterThan1 Fri 09-Nov-12 00:10:39

Golden coin maker, surprise egg maker and ice cream maker are all awful!

All played with once and are so hard to use that you end up doing it while the kids watch (and mine are not little) and 3 hours later (yes really stupid bloody chocolate egg) you still end up with something that looks nothing like it should and is inedible!

CleansLate Fri 09-Nov-12 00:15:26

hotwheels tracks are always rubbish BUT this is brill - http://www.amazon.co.uk/BluTrack-18sklarge-Starter-Set/dp/B000YC3PE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352420046&sr=8-1 - can do loops and put it down the stairs and do allsorts. doesn't have a 'trigger' start obviously but it's durable and fits most cars not just hotwheels.

CleansLate Fri 09-Nov-12 00:16:39

sigh - this

GrownupGoth Fri 09-Nov-12 00:32:03

God, DS LOVES Hexbugs! He has for over a year now, carts them about in the case and enjoys joining up the sets/making them different. Deffo worth the extortionate amount of money in this house.

Elefun and the bee game where you put on the headband and collect little halls with a magnet are both hated though.

skyebluesapphire Fri 09-Nov-12 00:33:43

DD loves her Kiddizoom camera. And Ive got her an Innotab for Christmas......

I agree that Elefun is crap. Ben and Holly play sets are rubbish too.

Do not buy Barbies Dog garden thing, it's pink plastic crap! And falls apart and doesn't work like it does on the advert!

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 09-Nov-12 00:44:38

To be fair I got dd the vetch camera when they first came out and it lasted great ds had it after to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now