What is dishwasher vodka and, is it a good gift?

(247 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Wed 07-Nov-12 20:26:43

I've seen it come up on here before but I can't work out what it is. Can you get away with using the cheap stuff?

LightHousekeeping Fri 23-Nov-12 14:52:48

That naughty nigella tells me I've got to add 200mls of cream to my mars bars. Blinking heck.

AmberLeaf Fri 23-Nov-12 15:48:58

Her and bloody cream..and butter!

LightHousekeeping Fri 23-Nov-12 18:07:20

What will happen to the cream in the vodka? Will it be ok?

ninjanurse Fri 23-Nov-12 19:14:14

Oh my god - I have just read this thread! What flavour to start with? I am thinking after eights, chocolate orange, chocolate limes, curlywurlys, rubarb and custard. I havent got a dishwasher but if I start now and shake everyday, they would be ready for christmas right?

I have had a quick look and found some nice bottles at wilcos here

AmberLeaf Fri 23-Nov-12 19:16:09

Not sure Lighthouse, Ive not done any creamy ones.

ninjanurse, doing it now and just shaking should be fine, it all tends to dissolve fairly quickly, but I think the chocolatey ones need a bit of warming by standing in hot water?

thenightsky Fri 23-Nov-12 19:19:45

Has anyone tried using M&S fruit sherbets? Bet they would be nice.

LightHousekeeping Fri 23-Nov-12 20:12:44

what about my cream?? Nigella says keep in a black cupboard for a week and then transfer to the fridge. If the cream goes off then its alot of money to waste.

I melted the chocolate and then poured it into the bottle. Is it best to do this will all chocolate recipes?

Could you do half with cream half without?

LightHousekeeping Fri 23-Nov-12 20:35:58

Ive done it now. I got really carried away with it. My sister said I shouldve just used a carton of long life mars bar milk shake grin

neverputasockinatoaster Fri 23-Nov-12 21:28:38

We made the Hairy Bikers Christmas Vodka last year - 'twas divine.

I'm thinking about doing this for DH but I'm not sure where I could hide the bottles between shakings!

Helzepops Sat 24-Nov-12 10:16:26

Sounds like the same basic idea as sloe gin. Might be good to try some of these ideas with gin too. Can you make savoury Vodkas? Cheese and onion shots ??????

FlyOverTheMistletoe Sat 24-Nov-12 10:40:22

Hezepops chilli vodka is great smile

MarshmallowCupcake Sat 24-Nov-12 20:44:38

I've got M&S sherbets and mars bars&cream to make these vodkas! Just need some time now!

LightHousekeeping Sat 24-Nov-12 21:19:52

I melted my mars bars and cream first and then just poured it in.

Will the cream keep do you know? does the vodka stop it from going off?

MarshmallowCupcake Sat 24-Nov-12 23:14:32

Made mars bar vodka tonight! So quick! It's a wee bit strong so I just added a bit extra cream to it and its amazing, the orange sherbet vodka is dissolving. May take a while cos I couldn't be bothered to smash up the sweets (wanted to sit down and enjoy the mars bar vodka :-)

LightHousekeeping Sun 25-Nov-12 06:42:57

I'm leaving mine alone for a week. Did you put it in the freezer?

MarshmallowCupcake Sun 25-Nov-12 19:42:53

Mines in the fridge, wasn't sure how the cream would react and since I used Smirnoff, dint want to ruin it. Going to use shops own brand next. All my sweets have dissolved in the vodka so roll on Xmas cos I'm thinking that the orange sherbet vodka might go very nicely with red bull!

poursomesugaronme Mon 26-Nov-12 08:03:16

I made chocolate orange vodka last night. I melted the choc and added cream then put in the vodka. It was yum! I put it in the fridge last night and it started to get a bit thicker, more of a Baileys consistency. This morning I noticed that it looked quite solid so I took the lid off and it has got really thick and started to kind of squish itself out of the bottle. Don't know what I have done grin hopefully it will thin down a bit so it will be drinkable later!

aimingtobeaperfectionist Mon 26-Nov-12 20:19:28

Smirnoff red label vodka is on offer in tesco at the mo, 1L £14.

Doshusallie Mon 26-Nov-12 20:58:11

Excuse me but - why do you have to put it in the dishwasher?????

FlyOverTheMistletoe Mon 26-Nov-12 21:15:10

Dosh I don't put mine in the dishwasher

nevertoooldforindie Sat 01-Dec-12 19:53:55

Pongwiffy

that sounds gorgeous what quantities do you use? Love this thread!

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sat 08-Dec-12 10:51:54

Anyone got a rough idea of quantities? I want to make chocolate vodka so if I've got 1L vodka how much chocolate will I need?

MaltesersR4LifenotJust4Xmas Sat 08-Dec-12 19:01:53

I have mars bar/ rhubarb and custard and pear drop on the go at the minute, it does look very thin tho, not the syrupy goodness I was imagining sad do I maybe need to add more sweets? Or just give it a few days to thicken? Also is it too late to add cream to my mars vodka seeing as I've already dissolved them? Ooh so many questions!

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sun 09-Dec-12 00:52:44

Malteasers- how many mars bars did you add? I'd imagine you could add cream still? Maybe pour the whole lot into a bowl and whisk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now