What is dishwasher vodka and, is it a good gift?

(248 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Wed 07-Nov-12 20:26:43

I've seen it come up on here before but I can't work out what it is. Can you get away with using the cheap stuff?

Selks Fri 09-Nov-12 10:35:26

OMG...marking my place. just got to decide which flavourings I want to use now. Like the idea of doing a christmas spiced vodka.

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Fri 09-Nov-12 10:49:49

The vodka doesn't last long enough in this (Polish) household to start tinkering with smile

trumpton Fri 09-Nov-12 11:00:39

I think I am going to try sherbet lemon vodka . I already have raspberry gin , summer vodka and autumn brandy .

Is cheepo bog standard vodka ok? Think I might make some for my sister.

trumpton Fri 09-Nov-12 11:06:54

Up thread it was said that cheap but not nasty is ok

LtEveDallas Fri 09-Nov-12 11:09:51

Cheap and nasty works OK as long as you add more sweets - so make the flavourings stronger.

Cheap is great for everything else.

Expensive is fabulous if you just want a liqueur sipping vodka - but I wouldn't waste my money TBH smile

Nah! Christmas pressies have to involve money or some sort of effort IMO wink

I made blackberry vodka for SILs this year. Walking around a wet field full of cow pats and getting scratched to f* makes the gift so much more meaningful grin

Someone mentioned chilli vodka!! DON'T! JUST DON'T!! It is evil. I lost my taste buds and all feeling in my mouth for about an hour after tasting some. And I love chillies. The only thing it might work with is tomato juice - bloody-minded Mary.

DollyTwat Fri 09-Nov-12 11:14:16

Curlywurly vodka is lush
I make it all the time and give it as presents

BeatTheClock Fri 09-Nov-12 11:24:10

Sophisticated could be Ferrero Rocher. 'Ah Ambassador...you are spoiling us wiz your dishwasher vodka'grin

OlaRapaceFru Fri 09-Nov-12 11:25:44

That was me Ormiriathomimus. I did have a tiny taste of the chili vodka, but as I don't like 'too hot' I was very careful.

But I refused to try the garlic vodka - garlic in cooking, fine, even raw garlic in a dressing, fine ... but I drew the line at the garlic vodka. Mind you, the guy that made it eats raw garlic sandwiches <boak> grin

BeatTheClock Fri 09-Nov-12 11:26:14

Garlic vodka??shockconfused Blimey charlie. Imagine the hangover from that.

trumpton Fri 09-Nov-12 17:35:47

BeatTheClock at last someone else who says "Blimey Charlie " I thought it was only me !

Osmiornica Fri 09-Nov-12 18:05:32

No idea what any of this stuff is but just had to laugh at the thought of Polish vodka being 'sipping vodka' grin

OlaRapaceFru Fri 09-Nov-12 18:11:53

I couldn't work out why BeatTheClock decided to call me "blimey, Charlie"?! grin

BertieBotts Fri 09-Nov-12 18:18:26

Is the garlic vodka for cooking with or drinking? grin

GreenEyesAndHam Fri 09-Nov-12 18:21:02

Does anyone know how many After Eights you'd bung in please? Is it a whole box, or just a few?

Also for the Mars Bars, Curly Wurlys etc- one bar a bottle, or more!

GreenEyesAndHam Fri 09-Nov-12 18:22:18

Not sure why I put an exclamation mark after 'more' there grin

OlaRapaceFru Fri 09-Nov-12 18:34:41

I think our friend who made the garlic vodka, did it for drinking rather than cooking <bleurgh> but this is the guy who eats raw garlic sandwiches envy = sick face!

After Eights, Mars Bars, Curly Wurleys, any other chocs (I fancy doing one with Lindt D'Or) - how many you use depends on the size of the bottle of vodka. With the Mars Bars I used the mini ones to make it easier. But you remove about 1/4 of the vodka and then add the 'chocs' to fill back to the top (I think ... it's been ages since I made any).

Do not do what I did the last time I made a couple of small bottles of Mars Bar vodkas. I wasn't sure whether I'd added enough chocolate, so - a day or so later - decided to have a little taste from each bottle - this was not helped by the fact I'd had a few glasses of wine at lunchtime. I went all wibbly and then fell asleep on the sofa grin.

lighthousekeeping Fri 09-Nov-12 18:36:25

We're do we get the bottles from? And the jar to fit in the orange and vodka? I'm no good at craft sad

GreenEyesAndHam Fri 09-Nov-12 18:39:15

Thanks Ola

<legs it to asda>

OlaRapaceFru Fri 09-Nov-12 18:39:52

Most of them you can make in the original bottles that the vodka comes in. So you pour out 1/3 or 1/4 the vodka into something else (or just drink it!), then just make your flavoured vodka in the same bottle.

But the people who are talking about some of the more sophisticated varieties have been talking about using Kilner jars/bottles. Will try to find an example for you ... back soon!

BeatTheClock Fri 09-Nov-12 18:40:30

My 'blimey charlie' addiction comes directly from lovely Mark and Lard grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now