Elf on the Shelf Letter..

(103 Posts)
FairyTrain Sun 28-Oct-12 15:28:33

Can anyone give me a link to a decent Elf on the Shelf arrival letter (the ones i found on google were not great! I will be posting Elves to each of my nieces and need an introductory letter, but dont want to use the book as the Elves I have are hand made and look nothing like the one in the book....Hope someone can help!?

Taffeta Wed 28-Nov-12 10:11:07

A lovely MNer made me an elf last year and I was exactly the same, started off well with him ravaging the cereal, in DH's underpants on the tree etc but then got a dose of the CBAs/forgot and elf settled himself in certain spots.

He will return this year, no doubt in a similar vein. Saturday he'll have his letter and the advent calendars and the Jolly Christmas postman book. In between, we'll do the underpants again, stealing some money from my purse, shaving with DS's razor and foam, green wee in the loo, and green milk in the fridge.

On Christmas eve, he'll leave some Lindt chocolate santas and a Lush bath bomb.

In between I expect I will forget to shift him more than once. Heyho. Lazy elf.

feetheart Wed 28-Nov-12 11:13:39

If you have a Tiger shop near you they have cracking elves with knitted woolly jumpers for £2.

My two are 9 and 7 but we are starting this year. Not sure there will be much spying but a little mischief is going to be fun smile

loosinas Wed 28-Nov-12 11:28:09

can someone give me a quick fill-in on this elf on the shelf business ! i want to do it for my wee man ! where did yous get a nice elf from?

PickledGerkin Wed 28-Nov-12 12:04:54

To all the people saying "my child would freak out if someone was sent to watch them" you have never been raised Catholic when God is watching all the time

And every couple of weeks you have to go to confession and tell a Priest straight to his face (as he always drew back the curtain) the sins you had committed grin <not scarred at all>

I am doing EoS for the first time this year and yes I am aiming to over-achieve.

My parents made Christmas incredibly special for me and my sisters and I want to add to the crazy that is December in the Gerkin house. It is a mere 25 days out of 365.

So to my fellow Elf on a Shelfers, good luck for Saturday, mine is making his entrance through the letter box, I have a list of things he will be doing including toilet paper wrapping of the Christmas tree. I cannot bloody wait <over excited>

Mine came from here because you could choose the skin colour etc and I already have him and have played with him to see where he will sit happily etc.

p.s. my Dad is 71 and his Christmas tree went up last weekend, my craziness for Christmas is in the genes grin

mycarscallednev Wed 28-Nov-12 13:15:15

.... just keep thinking of Dobby!

ToffeeCaramel Wed 28-Nov-12 14:50:08

If the elves are doing naughty things, does it encourage the kids to do naughty things too? Rather than improving behaviour because the elf is keeping an eye for santa? Sorry if this has been covered. Not read the whole thread.

TheElfOnThePanopticon Wed 28-Nov-12 15:24:43

I wondered about that, too. I tthink that any mischief my elf gets up too will be for adult eyes only.

blibblibs Wed 28-Nov-12 15:57:25

I was so looking forward to doing EoS this year but can't for the life of me find an elf sad

VikingVagine Wed 28-Nov-12 17:05:31

I'm thinking about making one from some old tights, but it'll probably end up looking too scary.

daimbardiva Wed 28-Nov-12 22:17:33

Ebay! I just bought one for £3.99 and it's been despatched same day. Prob not the best quality but will do the job!

SpanishFly Fri 30-Nov-12 14:03:10

IT DOESNT NEED TO BE AN ELF!! Ours is a snowman who's come to visit till Xmas eve. He rings the doorbell every year while we're putting up the Xmas tree on December 1st.

The mischief does NOT encourage ds (age 7) to be mischievous too - in fact he gets cross at him and last year out him on the naughty step.

Ours gets up to things - good and bad - when no-own is looking, not just during the night.

This year he'll eat some chocolate decorations from the tree, he'll phone a takeaway for us one night, and he'll order Arthur Christmas from Sky Box Office, among other things. Weirdly, he's never ever said "it's only a toy" - he seems to believe every word of it all!

VikingVagine Fri 30-Nov-12 20:00:39

Well, I ended up buying a barbiere like doll (Disney tinkerbell something or other) because it's the only sodding thing I could find with pointy ears!

VikingVagine Fri 30-Nov-12 20:15:16

I am armed with red felt and am going to try and make it look like one of Santa's elves.

feetheart Fri 30-Nov-12 22:43:27

SchrodingersHat - just to say thank you for sharing your lovely poem. We have adapted it for our two slightly older children (7 and 9) and it is SO much nicer than some of the icky American stuff I kept finding (and easier than starting from scratch ourselves smile)

Advent calendars out, elf out, letter done and out. I think we might be ready <<need a Christmas smile>>

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 30-Nov-12 22:55:09

spanishfly (love the name do you put it in your dh's drink) We have a christmas fairy here I agree IT does not half to be a creepy elf!

Tw1nkle Sat 01-Dec-12 00:00:32

Cutting it a bit fine.....but I've finished crocheting our Elf!!!!!

i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r602/kaykav100/IMAG1170.jpg

janji Sat 01-Dec-12 00:11:25

Bump

Tw1nkle, that is fabulous. Very well done.

feetheart Sat 01-Dec-12 07:07:07

Tw1nkle - he's gorgeous smile

schilke Sat 01-Dec-12 08:33:22

I've had to delay the arrival of our elf until tomorrow. Dd2 was asked to go on a last minute sleepover. I nearly said no, thinking of elf, but then realised the start date wasn't set in stone!

I can't wait!

TheElfOnThePanopticon Sat 01-Dec-12 08:43:00

Tw1nkle, that elf is lovely!

Our elf arrived last night, and I am still astonished by how much the children love her. They read her a story, dang her some songs from the Nativity play and showed her colouring in. she sat in a mug tithe table while we ate dinner and was put to bed in a cosy hat. When DD went downstairs this morning she came up to tell us that Lumi really did go to the North Pole overnight, and she read a book when she came back instead of going back to bed. I am so glad I did this.

whimsy Sat 01-Dec-12 09:05:27

Eric the elf arrived last night and was abseiling through the letterbox when the boys found him. We read the story, then we watched the dvd. He bought the Story of Christmas advent calender with him, which is lovely. They love him even the nearly 10yr old. Wish I'd done it years ago smile

loubielou31 Sat 01-Dec-12 09:40:39

"Pippa" and "Tom" were found this morning climbing through the letter box. They brought a letter from Santa and the advent calenders.
I don't think I'm aiming too high this evening although the children are expecting all kinds of high jinks based on the escapades of last years elf who visited Grandma's.

SpanishFly Sat 01-Dec-12 10:47:48

InNeedOfBrandy it's a complete misnomer, I promise you! You know what they say - the more you talk about it, the less you're doing it... blush

Christmas4u Tue 29-Oct-13 23:03:42

Can you send the letter with the template to me? Please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now