Elf on the Shelf Letter..

(103 Posts)
FairyTrain Sun 28-Oct-12 15:28:33

Can anyone give me a link to a decent Elf on the Shelf arrival letter (the ones i found on google were not great! I will be posting Elves to each of my nieces and need an introductory letter, but dont want to use the book as the Elves I have are hand made and look nothing like the one in the book....Hope someone can help!?

GlitKnit Sun 25-Nov-12 22:52:11

why do you need to bribe and blackmail your kids?
I think its a shit ( and slightly naff) idea

dont ramp up xmas - play it down!

timeforachangebaby Sun 25-Nov-12 22:56:22

Is that for real?? The DCs love them - they extend Christmas and make it magical. The mischief the elves get up to makes them laugh their heads off.

We have 25 days of Christmas - we do a christmassy thing every day in December - they are young and believe in magic for such a short space of time - why not make the most of it?

GlitKnit Sun 25-Nov-12 23:07:08

Because by Xmas day they are whining brats

timeforachangebaby Sun 25-Nov-12 23:11:58

Your children maybe - certainly not mine - they love Christmas Day and the whole run up to it.

AudrinaAdare Sun 25-Nov-12 23:18:53

People do it for the same reason that people do anything I suppose. Whether that's name-changing or spending time on Style and Beauty buying unnecessary stuff for yourself all year round.

Or was that a genuine question? I could explain why I do it but you would get bored because it's to do with my DS' S.N. I'd probably get bored typing it to be honest grin

For other children having the EotS watching is a great idea because Christmas starts too fecking early. There was no need for it when we were children.

nametakenagain Sun 25-Nov-12 23:51:10

I think this watching is a bit creepy. <expects flaming, hopes to have misunderstanding gently cleared>

AudrinaAdare Mon 26-Nov-12 00:07:18

It seems to be the idea behind every major religion; keeping people's base impulses in check for some higher reward at the end from the big man who has a naughty or nice list. This is the lite version.

<Sticks apple in mouth in preparation for roasting>

Nothing creepy about the Elf on the Shelf song, oh no!

MrsDimples Mon 26-Nov-12 00:12:29

I just did our letter, it was pretty simple, DD is 3 & will probably not give a shit I.e. listen at all. It's wrapped up on top of the DvD, on top of the box.

It will be arriving on the doorstep, at some point tomorrow.

timeforachangebaby Mon 26-Nov-12 00:18:13

Ours don't watch - they come on trips etc - the DCs love them.

birthdaypanic Mon 26-Nov-12 00:38:50

This is the first year in our house and all the adults can't wait, it will be a suprise for dgs. Our elf will not be arriving until after dgs birthday on 10th Dec as DD doesn't like anything christmassy until after his birthday so it isn't overshadowed.
We are considering copying an idea we read about, the elf comes on all trips, holidays etc and sends photos to dgs to show that they are watching all year not just in lead up to Christmas, dgs will not see elf on trips.
I agree that children believe in magic for such a short time I think it's a lovely idea wish it had been around for my children.

Pictureperfect Mon 26-Nov-12 02:38:25

Troll in a hole for kids who are too naughty for elves!

Clothilde Mon 26-Nov-12 06:51:32

I don't like the spying for Santa/discipline side of it, so we don't do that. Our elf just comes from the North Pole to spread the Yuletide spirit.

OptimisticPessimist Mon 26-Nov-12 09:27:05

I don't link the Elf (or Santa for that matter) to behaviour at all - I don't really like it anyway but DS1 has ASD, some issues with behaviour and a pretty negative self-image, so there have been times where he's been convinced he won't get presents and I avoid adding to that as best as I can.

AudrinaAdare Mon 26-Nov-12 09:46:25

I think I remember your DS from the thread in chat about autistic meltdowns. As I said before - to each, his own. They're only ideas and you adapt as you see fit. I'm not having a naughty elf because it would confuse the hell of out my rigid-thinker!

Santa is really working with DS' sleep issues and we are hoping that the EotS and his special blanket (gingerbread one from Dunelm Mill grin) will convince him to try sleeping in his own bed. That's his special job this year after last year's success using that free Santa video you can make. Santa asked him to try some new foods and he got into a habit which has continued all year.

Just hoping to avoid problems when the elf goes back into the loft to the North Pole. I saw a Youtube thing last year where the DC were in absolute hysterics shock

Happylander Mon 26-Nov-12 10:27:15

Thanks for this. I have never heard of this but it is a fab idea.

Bunnygotwhacked Mon 26-Nov-12 10:39:34

Do you think I could get away with doing this would be lovely for the youngest who is 5 but the eldest, 10 might be a bit hmm but she is a very young 10 but I do want to give it a go

timeforachangebaby Mon 26-Nov-12 11:06:16

I think everyone who has asked for them now has templates, except the people I am waiting email addresses for?

You know, I find the Elf on the Shelf idea a bit creepy too. If I had one I think it would give me nightmares <easily spooked>.

That and the fact that this is a new thing we've never had in my house before would make my DC a bit hmm about the whole thing...

ToffeeCaramel Mon 26-Nov-12 13:27:04

I'm not keen on the idea. Home is supposed to be haven and I wouldn't like to think someone was continuously watching my behaviour at home to decide if i was a good or bad person and that I'd get no presents if i didn't make the grade.

timeforachangebaby Mon 26-Nov-12 13:42:49

we dont really do the monitoring stuff, the joy of EoTS is that you can adapt it to whatever suits your family,

Guitargirl Mon 26-Nov-12 14:04:16

We did this last year when the DCs were aged 4 and 2 and will be doing it again this year. They absolutely loved it especially the youngest. He would come running out of his room every morning to see where the Elf had moved to. The fact that Elf returns to the North Pole on Christmas Eve after the DCs are asleep to be replaced by Father Christmas presents on Christmas Day takes the sting out of his departure! Although DS was still asking about him in February!

kikid Mon 26-Nov-12 15:42:01

Not heard of this before but sounds quite nice for the younger children, i guess you know your children well enough to judge the merits of these things.

OstrichSized Mon 26-Nov-12 15:46:11

This isn't quite the Elf on a Shelf, but just to let you know that if you write to Santa in Lapland, he always replies.
I tested it out once, I was a tad late in posting the letter but I did get a reply in April telling me what Santa, the elves and the reindeer were getting up to in the quiet period.

I think I just took a stab at the address, Lapland, Finland. That kind of thing. Probably another reason it took 4 months to receive a response.

So, not having kids, I didn't know what this 'elf on the shelf' thing was all about. Then I found this.

I laughed quite a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now