so DD2 adored her internal combustion engine. any ideas for Christmas

(21 Posts)

DD2 is 9 and wants to be an engineer. She got meccano last Christmas and loved it and recently had the Haynes engine for her birthday. Built it in 2 hours one afternoon shock She said she wants an iPod touch but tb I think it's just because her sister wants one. Any ideas?

GrimAndHumourless Wed 24-Oct-12 15:57:13

A really decent glass triangular prism?

Raspberry Pi

What do you actually do with a raspberry pi?

silverfrog Wed 24-Oct-12 18:55:23

there's the seriously advanced lego - architectural series (Big Ben, Brandenburg Gate)?

or the souped up meccano - the spykee robots.

or what about the logiblocs kits?

Thanks I'll look. Not the spykee though, terrible reviews sad

silverfrog Wed 24-Oct-12 23:02:21

oh, has it? bugger.

how about a build-your-own-hovercraft?

melodyangel Wed 24-Oct-12 23:11:35

Raspberry Pi - You can use it as a cheap computer good to learn to programme on. Download scratch on it.

You can use scratch on a PC too.

Lego mindstorm, very expensive though.

silverfrog Wed 24-Oct-12 23:13:29

any of the teifoc construction sets? see here

UniS Thu 25-Oct-12 23:12:39

A drawing board, A3 paper, set squares, curves, and nice propelling pencils. Hours of entertainment.

MMMarmite Thu 25-Oct-12 23:16:24

Lego mindstorms is great.

An electronics kit - one you can do lots of different things with?

Great ideas thanks smile She's not very into computers and prefers to build things but maybe something she can design with on the pc might be a good idea as well as toys she can actually build.

ArthurShappey Sat 27-Oct-12 21:12:22

What about a Stirling engine or a gyroscope?

twolittledarlings Sat 27-Oct-12 21:39:55

What about Hot Wires by John Adam? My 2 dd loves this. It's a kit that you can build like an electronic kit to makes things work. That is an alarm sound, a light bulb light up, a propeller move, and lots more. Comes with an instruction book for loads of experiments.

austenozzy Sat 27-Oct-12 21:46:52

Have you looked in the Science Museum shop? They have the haynes engine you mention, there might be something in there that is the next step up.

www.sciencemuseumshop.co.uk/

lurcherlover Sat 27-Oct-12 21:58:34

Airfix model kit?

Fluffyfish Sat 27-Oct-12 22:30:43

No idea but I hope my daughter grows up wanting to to be an engineer too.

thewhistler Sat 27-Oct-12 22:52:01

Science museum here and the Washington one brilliant. Make your own radio, electronic experiments, we did hovercraft and robots. Weather station.

To extend the science, chemistry set.

If pushing the boat out, a mahmod (sp?) engine.

OhYouBigBadBeast Sat 27-Oct-12 22:56:42

Highly recommend these electronics kits. Dd thinks her is brilliant and in fact in remembering this I might get her one for older kids now as hers has lasted her around 3 years.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ouryve Tue 09-Jul-13 17:05:55

Do you work for logicblocs or something, wishidoneitbetter? You seem to have been raking up an awful lot of old threads with comments about them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now