Infused vodka, come talk to me about glass bottles and pretty shit.

(102 Posts)
BrianCoxIsUpTheDuff Tue 09-Oct-12 16:18:48

^pretty shit^: organza, bows, stuff to make it pretty and present like.

I have 4 females to buy presents for and a low-ish budget. Had a brain wave that I would buy some nice vodka, some Skittles (or other sweets), bottles with stoppers and make my own sweet-infused-vodka.

Looking online for bottles is a nightmare, either qty 1 or qty 10+ and also delivery costs (I won't ever use the spare bottles, they will just sit and gather dust).

Does anybody know of a decent shop where I can get individual bottles from? I'm in Cheshire.

and, has anybody done this - do you have a recipe/was it a hit with the recipient?

Thanks

smile

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 16:33:07

Liquorice - eek! Although some weirdos might like that!

Those gourmet jellybeans are fabulous - I bet you could make a fairly incredible popcorn flavour vodka. It's cost more that a bottle of champagne by the time you'd bought the amoutn of JellyBelly's you'd need though! grin

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 16:34:49

aiming - I buy the Sainsbury's basics stuff.

I bought a bottle today - 70cl for £9.95. You can possibly get it cheaper in other supermarkets (but I'm not sure). It is perfectly fine, and in fact I would never waste decent vodka on using it for flavoured stuff - that really would be a waste of money.

TigerFeet Wed 17-Oct-12 16:40:08

Mine is made with Aldi voddy, cheap as chips, it was around £7 for 70cl iirc.

ALdi gourmet jelly beans too grin

May have to drink it all and try again with something a bit more proper.

Am thinking sherbert lemons for a lemoncello-ey type affair.

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 16:41:28

I did sherbert lemon. It really was rather good. I made little jelly shots out of some of it as well. I was drunk the night I served those as palate cleansers! grin

TigerFeet Wed 17-Oct-12 16:42:42

Anyway, back to Brian's OP - our local garden centre has just put all it's Christmas sparkly shit out and it's not too expensive, got some wired ribbon from there today to tie pretty ickle bows on everything.

I luffs this stuff I do.

TigerFeet Wed 17-Oct-12 16:47:43

Sherbert lemon vodka jelly! You're INSPIRED.

ShipsCat Wed 17-Oct-12 16:55:26

Marking my place :-) I have rosehips to make some flavoured vodka! Apparently it's a handful of hips to a tbsp of honey.

TigerFeet Wed 17-Oct-12 17:26:34

Right I have just read through the thread properly. Shirley I follow your blog and it would appear that I've been copying you like a copying copycat grin

I've just had to filter my jellybean voddy through a muslin as it got stuck in coffee filters - jellybeans seem to have some sort of insoluble bit that goes all scuzzy and looks like baked beans at the bottom of the jar and grated orange pith at the top <ick>

It has been tried and tested and I would suggest that a stray liquorice bean has got though and made it taste a bit odd. There are no liquorice in the Aldi jellybeans but there are in the Asda ones I used to top it up... I shall stick to Aldi in future.

It tastes ok. Just ok. I won't be giving it to anyone let's put it that way, but it isn't so revolting that I can't drink it myself grin. It's extremely sticky and it stained my worktop shock.

Trying again next week with skittles and/or sherbert lemons.

I LOVE the world of bottles link. Love the idea of green skittle vodka in the Christmas tree. I'm also thinking that the star could contain vodka or gin with perhaps almond and/or vanilla essence (and some cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise?) and some insoluble edible glitter to make a sort of alcoholic snow globe.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 17-Oct-12 17:32:08

Do I make to vodka in the same bottles I'm giving it in? Or a different bottle then decant? Also, could you use a coke bottle or the like to make it in?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Oct-12 17:34:30

I've used a different bottle to make it in and I'm going to decant.

I think I might add some more vodka to mine. I used a litre of vodka and two bags of rhubarb and custard sweets. It tastes and smells very strong/sweet.

TigerFeet Wed 17-Oct-12 17:43:06

I made mine in a kilner jar but I can't see why you couldn't use any sealable bottle really, my only concern about using something that's previously held something else is the possibility of taint from the flavour of whatever was in the bottle beforehand.

It will likely need filtering so not a good idea to make it in the bottle you're going to give it in, unless you're happy to filter it into a jug, wash the bottle and then tip it back in... which wouldn't really be a huge problem.

I rather suspect I just wanted an excuse to buy kilner jars.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 17-Oct-12 17:46:07

Ah yes, I love kilner jars and have rather a lot but all my baking ingredients are in them! Not got a local ikea either.

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 17:50:30

Ha tiger! Not copying darling, that's what the blog is for...disasterous inspiration! wink. LOVE the idea of glitter - I'm going to bung some in the cherry drop vodka I've got in the dishwasher now. Just to see if it all sinks to the bottom or not.

Aiming- deffo need a bottle to make the vodka, then ones to decant it into - I have seen skittles vodka made in plastic bottles, but I've never tried it myself.

Viva - never a problem to dilute, just go easy or you might have to add more sweets and then be in an endless cycle resulting in a GALLON of rhubarb and custard vodka. what's the problem? grin

4forkssake Wed 17-Oct-12 20:26:35

You could also use jam jars if you only want to make a small amount. I've bought some 100 ml bottles from Lakeland

www.lakeland.co.uk/15585/6-Mini-Presentation-Bottles

& I've made an assortment of vodkas including red skittles, yellow skittles & orange skittles (needed a lot more skittles than I thought I would), chilli, cherry & vimto (using vimto Bon bons smashed up & vimto skidaddle sweets from home bargains). They look good in the small bottles.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 19-Oct-12 15:02:13

Inspired by this thread earlier in the week I've decided to make some for gifts.

I found bottles in Wilkinsons -they are the Kilner make ones with the Grolsch style flip top - 500ml was £2.75 and the 250ml was £2.50. (they were in the home brewing bit)

I was going to do 3 flavours in 250ml bottles but TBH they looked really tiny and knowing the recipient of the gift they would disappear in one gulp wink so went for the 500ml ones.

Now to decide on flavours -I'm going to read back over this thread but would love to know the best.

Also, has anyone made a sherbet lemon one?

Zeeky Fri 19-Oct-12 21:34:47

Tiger I LOVE the idea of glitter to make an alcoholic snow globe! I recently made some Strawberry Glam (strawberry jam with added edible stars) as gifts.

flyoverthegoldenhill Sat 20-Oct-12 13:18:42

Thank you to who ever suggested Black Jack. I've just done it. I used 2 of the black jack chew bars to half a bottle of vodka. I've just been shaking it. (No dishwasher). Its smelling fantastic ! Now I want glitter too ! Just going to buy sherbet lemons and more vodka. John Lewis have loads of bottles, christmas tree ones etc. But I'm using small size wine bottles too and knitting little scarves and hats for the bottles (ravelry I think)

Right, am planning to go and buy stuff for this tomorrow!

Can anyone give me and EXACT list of what I need?

TIA

flyoverthegoldenhill Sat 20-Oct-12 14:40:14

Ihope what do you want to make ? I just got a bottle of vodka and a bottle of gin. I've not used kilner jars, just old glass bottles with a good fitting lid.

Cherry drop vodka and cola bottle vodka!

Would old sauce bottles work? Like glass ketchup ones?!

flyoverthegoldenhill Sat 20-Oct-12 15:10:39

IHope Thats exactly what I'm using

flyoverthegoldenhill Sat 20-Oct-12 15:11:58

So all you will need is your sweets and vodka !

Excellent!!

I'm going to make it up in Kilner jars then Decant into these

will that work?!

And how many sweets do you think I'll need for two of each

Thank you btw!

flyoverthegoldenhill Sat 20-Oct-12 15:14:54

And if its for Christmas - patience !
As my blackjack vodkais looking and smelling soooooooooo good I think I might just have to try it tonight - I'll let you know tomorrow. (I guess that means mine won't last till tomorrow xmas)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now