Infused vodka, come talk to me about glass bottles and pretty shit.

(102 Posts)
BrianCoxIsUpTheDuff Tue 09-Oct-12 16:18:48

^pretty shit^: organza, bows, stuff to make it pretty and present like.

I have 4 females to buy presents for and a low-ish budget. Had a brain wave that I would buy some nice vodka, some Skittles (or other sweets), bottles with stoppers and make my own sweet-infused-vodka.

Looking online for bottles is a nightmare, either qty 1 or qty 10+ and also delivery costs (I won't ever use the spare bottles, they will just sit and gather dust).

Does anybody know of a decent shop where I can get individual bottles from? I'm in Cheshire.

and, has anybody done this - do you have a recipe/was it a hit with the recipient?

Thanks

smile

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 09:41:56

Skeleton:

Alcohol - nope, it doesn't have to be clear. I made a Christmas pudding flavoured rum last year (ARGH! I don't like christmas pudding OR rum, but I have been told that it was delish!). Er, I have linked to my blog further up the thread, I don't want to keep on linking in case I piss someone off, but recipe here. I am also going to be having a bash at some quince brandy when they ripen up enough. Bacardi and raspberry ruffles? Hmm, I'm not too sure how that would turn out. If I were you I'd buy some basics white rum and give it a go...that way you're not wasting too much money. I do know that last year some of my friends made mint aero vodka, so I imagine it can be done.

Bottles - I fill mine up and leave about an inch at the top - not for expansion but just for anti-spillage! grin

Coffee Filters - Yes and a funnel.

Time - you can either do it in the dishwasher which takes about 4 hours (with cooling and filtering and bottling) OR if you're going to just leave the stuff to dissovle naturally then that depends on what you're using - but I would give it at least four weeks. I think my xmas pud rum could have done with 6 weeks really, so if you get started now with natural ingredients you'll be alright for bottling up before christmas.

ALl this stuff requires an element of tasting, checking and adding (whether that be adding more booze for dilution or more ingredients to strengthen the flavours)

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 09:46:13

Duh, looking back I started making the rum about this time of year, so I did give it a good 6 weeks. DO IT TONIGHT! wink

yani Wed 17-Oct-12 09:59:40

Shirley Just had a quick look at your blog.
I'm gong to give the christmas pud one a go.
Daft question.......but how do you know when it's ready? blush

yani Wed 17-Oct-12 10:00:28

Ooh, sorry, and another question. How do you make sure that there is no pith left on the peel of the fruit?

TitHead Wed 17-Oct-12 10:07:17

Ohh fab thread. I don't have a dishwasher, do I just agitate it regularly, and if I'm using boiled sweets do I need to let them dissolve completley? Also the mint aero vodka would you just follow a choclate vodka recepie?

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 10:10:27

You'll know when it's ready by tasting it! If it tastes raisiny, nutty and a bit spicy (basically "nice") then it's ready. It doesn't say it (I'll amend that now) but in addition to the fruit and nuts you'll need some dark muscovado sugar.

It's difficult to give quantities - because you will need to add stuff as the weeks go by, but here is a recipe which looks good, with actual quantities (it's for vodka, but that doesn't make any difference IYKWIM?)

As for getting the peel off without pith? You need a SHARP knife and patience! grin

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 10:12:14

Cross posted with TitHead (arf!)

Yep, if you don't have a dishwasher just bung the sweeties in and shake every day for a week, and then just when you remember. Parma violets/refreshers are ready in a week, boiled sweets take a bit longer. I think the thing I've learned is that if you smash the sweets up first they dissovle more quickly! (DURRRRRR)

TitHead Wed 17-Oct-12 10:15:54

Ok thanks, so can I just bung the sweets into the vodka bottle then?

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 10:24:09

I did that with little bottles of vodka as "testers". You need to pour a little of the vodka out though (obviously) and some sweets and chocolates foam up a bit so you need to make sure there's room at the top of the bottle.

Preserving jars are not expensive though, and I'd really recommend buying one or two. You can always use them as storage jars for the rest of the year.

TitHead Wed 17-Oct-12 10:46:42

So did you just add the mint aero to the vodka then? Will get some jars at the end of the month. Do u think that will still be enough time?

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 10:54:53

I haven't made mint aero vodka. Let me PM the person who did and see if they'll come on and give you more deets.

The end of the month will be fine for sweetie ones, it's just the natural ingredients ones that take time. These jars look cheap!

Zeeky Wed 17-Oct-12 11:21:48

Ikea have very cheap kilner style jars - £1 for a 0.5L one. Can't remember the prices of the larger ones, but much cheaper than anywhere else I've looked.

I've made some toffee rum (bottle of Tesco value rum, packet of value toffees for 10p per bag!!). Had a little taste last night & it is thick & creamy and tastes like baileys! Yum!

ArtyFartyQueen Wed 17-Oct-12 11:31:18

Thanks for all the tips - was just about the start a thread about this but glad I checked first. I went to Ikea at the weekend and brought a few 1 litre cordial bottles and 1 litre kilner jars (which were much cheaper than anywhere else) so hoping to start making some this weekend, when I've finished with the Kilner jars, I am going to make up some baking kits (things like Brownies, Cookies) and give these out along with the infused alcohol and some other bits and pieces - hope they will be well received!

I hear you are looking for a Mint Aero vodka recipe? grin

I used two bags of Aero bubbles to half a bottle of vodka.

Melt chocolate, add vodka and whisk.

Decant into kilner jars and leave for a good 3-4 weeks, agitating often. It starts off looking grim, but by a couple of weeks it has a lovely marl colour.

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 12:21:17

Yay!

I fancy having a go of that - do they still make chocolate orange aero?

TitHead Wed 17-Oct-12 13:00:23

Ohh thankyou so much that's top if my list along with x-mas pud just need to decide on 2 other flavours. I keep changing my mind.

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 14:50:55

I saw some caramacs in the supermarket today.

Caramac vodka would be. A-MAY-zing.

TitHead Wed 17-Oct-12 15:36:51

Oh darn Shirley now I'm changing my mind again.

I am going to have a go at wham bar vodka this year.

HoopDePoop Wed 17-Oct-12 15:40:31

Marking place as I want to do this too smile

TigerFeet Wed 17-Oct-12 15:41:39

I got some kilner clip top bottles in Wilko's, they were £2.50 for a 250ml bottle - bargain
Kilner jars were slightly cheaper in Dunelm than Wilko's, but our local Dunelm didn't have any bottles

I have some jellybean vodka on the brew <hic> it currently tastes and smells of cough mixture

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 15:46:37

I bought a clip top kilner bottle today in Sainsbo's. I only bought it because I need something air tight for me to transport my voddy on a girls' weekend this weekend. [drunken smile]

I was looking at those gourmet jelly beans tiger but couldn't face the thought of having to separate them out! Did you just bung a load of normal jellybeans in or have you colour sorted them?

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 17-Oct-12 16:19:41

wilkinsons sell swing top bottles 6x500ml for £8
online says out of stock but they had some in my local store so worth a look

TigerFeet Wed 17-Oct-12 16:22:13

I had a packet of gourmet jelly beans but fished out the liquorice and chilli ones, leaving fruity and vanilla. It's come out a darkish orange colour (terracotta is everywhere this season non?) but I think a liquorice one may have sneaked in and made it a bit, erm, flavoursome. It's filtering as we speak, so may try a bit over ice with a splash of lemonade later on.

It never occured to me to separate colours. Yes, I am that dense.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 17-Oct-12 16:32:03

can anyone recommend a vodka? is it worth paying for a decent one or will cheap stuff do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now