Infused vodka, come talk to me about glass bottles and pretty shit.

(102 Posts)
BrianCoxIsUpTheDuff Tue 09-Oct-12 16:18:48

^pretty shit^: organza, bows, stuff to make it pretty and present like.

I have 4 females to buy presents for and a low-ish budget. Had a brain wave that I would buy some nice vodka, some Skittles (or other sweets), bottles with stoppers and make my own sweet-infused-vodka.

Looking online for bottles is a nightmare, either qty 1 or qty 10+ and also delivery costs (I won't ever use the spare bottles, they will just sit and gather dust).

Does anybody know of a decent shop where I can get individual bottles from? I'm in Cheshire.

and, has anybody done this - do you have a recipe/was it a hit with the recipient?

Thanks

smile

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Oct-12 21:37:13

Thanks, I've got a fine sieve. grin

ShirleyRots Tue 09-Oct-12 21:55:10

Hand on! If you smash the sweets up then put them in a kilner jar, then add the booze they should be alright on one cycle. Just keep shaking them every half an hour ish.

I advise coffee filter papers - I've never used anything else.

I've got a blog post about the dishwasher method here. As long as the jar is air tight, you can even run the cycle with dirty dishes in and soap!

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Oct-12 21:59:32

Thanks SHirley, I've got some Kilner jars somewhere.

ShirleyRots Tue 09-Oct-12 22:05:59

Squeee! I get SO excited about home made booze, it's ridiculous.

Good luck viva! I made a rhubarb and custard one (are you talking about the sweeties?) and it was LUSH. I think there's a recipe on the blog somewhere, there's definitely a picture of it on there. I think you'll probably want a pound of sweets to 1 litre of voddy.

BabylonPI Tue 09-Oct-12 22:07:44

If you're doing skittles, be sure to leave the green ones out wink

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Oct-12 22:26:32

Yes, definetly sweets rather than actual rhubarb and custard!

ShirleyRots Tue 09-Oct-12 22:28:55

I want to make an actual rhubarb and custard(vanilla pod) one.

Im out if kilner jars at the moment though wink

GrimAndHumourless Tue 09-Oct-12 22:31:50

Shirley real rhubarb and vanilla is amazing

I used early rhubarb, v delicate baby pink coloured drink, then popped in vanilla pod after straining.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Oct-12 22:33:41

Shirley, your plum vodka looks good.

I've made sloe gin and vodka before and stuck loads of sugar in. Does the plum vodka not need sugar as plums are a lot sweeter than bitter sloes?

CaseyShraeger Tue 09-Oct-12 22:49:00

Ooooh, black jack vodka.. <<shelves Skittles plans in a fickle manner>>

Valpollicella Tue 09-Oct-12 23:09:33

Total novice q. Again. But doesnt using fresh ingredients like rhubarb run the risk of things like botulism when doing chillies in oil if not prepped proper?

ShirleyRots Wed 10-Oct-12 05:47:13

Well, the botulism thing is an interesting discussion. From what I've gathered from punting about the interentwt ( here for example) it's a combination of acid, alcohol and oxygen (agitating the jars) means that the bacteria is unlikely to grow. I think the chillies in oil thing is slightly different as oil is not a murderous liquid like alcohol!

grin

Nigella has a rhubarb schnapps recipe in one of her books, alongside one for quince brandy, so I think the risk of botulism is teeeeeeeeeny.

Thanks for flagging it though val, I think I might put something on my blog to that effect.

ShirleyRots Wed 10-Oct-12 05:48:40

Whoops, Grim - that sounds lovely!

viva - I'm planning on adding some sugar syrup in a few weeks and also maybe some ginger.

BrianCoxIsUpTheDuff Wed 10-Oct-12 09:34:43

The only flaw to my plan is....I will need a taster as I am up-duffed, I don't think it advisable for me to be taste-testing my wares ha ha!

plan to eat any left over skittles though

ShirleyRots Wed 10-Oct-12 10:36:17

<raises hand>

BrianCoxIsUpTheDuff Wed 10-Oct-12 16:06:04

grin

I reckon a sip to taste, followed by a litre of water would be ok?

<hopeful>

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Oct-12 17:08:31

I've done rhubarb and custard vodka in the dishwasher today. Didn't get the sweets quite as smashed up as I'd like as the bag split. There's still huge chunks of sweets in the Kilner jar, all melted together in a huge block.

Do I keep dish washing it? Or stir and shake for a few weeks? How long will it take for the sweets to dissolve?

I've had a sniff and don't have any nostril hairs left now! It's bloody eye watering stuff.

Is it to be drunk neat or do you put it with lemonade?

chocolatetester1 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:13:01

Such good ideas, marking place.

Kinora Sun 14-Oct-12 17:28:23

I'm also liking some of these ideas but a little confused about the quantities.

If I bought a big bottle of vodka and halved it with another bottle of the same size and then topped one up with Worthers and the other with Black Jacks, would that work?

Off to read some blogs.

BalloonAnimals Sun 14-Oct-12 17:53:12

I'm going to make mixed berry gin this week, hoping its ready for Christmas. I have a load of mixed berries left over in the freezer from the summer so thought I'd put them in a bottle of gin and make a cheap present. Any idea of the proportion of gin:sugar:fruit?

Also, once its all in the bottle where do I store it?

WholeLottaRosie Sun 14-Oct-12 19:22:44

Peppermint candy-cane vodka is nice and if you get the mini canes you can tie one around the bottle as decoration. If you want to bulk the present out a bit more package it with some hot chocolate sachets. I made some very last-minute last year and the canes dissolved in a few hours without going in the dishwasher.

Has anyone had any dishwasher disasters when doing it?!

And how many cherry drops do you think I'd need to make cherry drop vodka?!

TIA!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Oct-12 22:13:24

Have I used the right quantities? I used 2 packs of sweets - 400g in total and a litre of vodka. I'm just wondering if I should only have used one pack? I can always add more vodka if it needs diluting a bit.

ShirleyRots Wed 17-Oct-12 09:16:19

Viva - Did you shake the jar regularly while it cooled? This should help the sweets to continue to melt! Have you tasted the results? I use the drinks as shots, but you could make a long drink...lemonade might be a bit too sweet though - it might be nice with soda water and lots of ice.

IHope - I would use about 6-8 packs of cherry drops per 750cl vodka - I'm going to make some tonight so can test it out and let you know?

Kinora - I've not tried using chewy sweets so I'm not too sure about the black jacks, BUT the werthers vodka takes many, many more sweets than you would imagine, I think it's because their flavour is so mild. I used about 4 BIG packs to 1 litre of vodka, keep tasting and checking and adding!

Balloon - Berry gin - hmm, well I'm not a big gin drinker, but I would say...half a kilner of berries, topped up with gin, and then leave for a month. Taste and then make up a sugar syrup and add to taste. Then leave for another week and then strain and filter.

SkeletonButterfly Wed 17-Oct-12 09:28:25

So, for us complete and utter clueless bastards, a list of what we will need?

- alcohol (guess it has to be clear? confused and would I be able to make something lovely with rum? My mum loves Bacardi and raspberry ruffles so would I be able to combine those?
- pretty bottles (how full do I make them - does the liquid expand?)
- coffee filters to degunk the product?
- time to complete? Is it just a case of leaving it all to dissolve and then it's ready?

I'm thinking I would like to make something like this for everyone on my Christmas list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now