Who sells the best mince pies?

(11 Posts)

I usually buy m&s or waitrose mini ones are best IMO

LFCisTarkaDahl Sun 07-Oct-12 22:39:36

Bettys - I get one box delivered. I don't need more than a couple a festive season as they're so rich.

VintageNancy Sun 07-Oct-12 22:38:03

Thank you for all the replies! I'd better do some serious testing so I don't fill my case with inadequate mince pies grin.

LetsKateWin Sun 07-Oct-12 21:38:29

I really love the Waitrose mini mince pies. Once I start eating them I just can't stop. They're dangerous!

peanutMD Sun 07-Oct-12 21:32:49

M&S latticed mince pies are delicious and not too much pastry, failing that Co-op are also delicious.

Bluestocking Sun 07-Oct-12 21:30:00

The essential thing is to make sure the filling doesn't have any vinegar in it. Most commercial mincemeat has some vinegar in it which renders the whole thing disgusting. I seem to remember that Waitrose ones are acceptable!

Sainsbo's TTD or Greggs are both huge and yummy - much nicer than any others I've tried (inc Duchy and M&S).

pictish Sun 07-Oct-12 21:28:55

Greggs do a fantastic mince pie dusted with icing sugar. They are wide and flat and are utterly divine!!

ADealingMummy Sun 07-Oct-12 21:26:50

Marks and Spencer puff pastry are my favourite mince pies.

Well after extensive taste testing Mince Pies over the years...

my favourite are Sainsburys Taste the Difference Mini Mince Pies.

The mini ones have the right pastry: mincemeat proportion. And there's just enough brandy to make them tangy.

I bought a pack of mixed ones last year (left it too late to buy my usual ones) but some of them had a weird 'banana' taste (though the Ecclefechan ones were nice)

The bog standrd ones tend to have very thick, doughy pastry.

Betty's of Harrogate are very highly acclaimed on the taste tests in magazines- available from Bettys by Post but ££

VintageNancy Sun 07-Oct-12 16:54:46

I live in the US but am on holiday in the UK and want to take a pack (or three) of mince pies home with me as they're nonexistent in America. So who makes the best?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now