What do I buy for....

(10 Posts)
4forkssake Thu 04-Oct-12 23:37:44

How about a book like this? It combines cooking & science. Got it last year for my now 6 year old (but hid it so well I forgot about it & found it recently so he'll be getting it this Christmas! grin). I got mine from book people but they don't seem to have it in but it was cheaper than the Amazon price so might be worth looking round.

www.amazon.co.uk/DO-TRY-THIS-AT-HOME/dp/0330517716/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349389886&sr=1-2

Or something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/Roald-Dahls-Completely-Revolting-Recipes/dp/0224083422/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349390148&sr=1-2

Looks like fun & it's actually only £4.99 on book people website

RuleBritannia Thu 04-Oct-12 14:45:12

*standing

RuleBritannia Thu 04-Oct-12 14:44:58

Splendid ideas! Thank you.

JennyPiccolo He already cooks. Been sanding on a chair, chopping vegetables (with proper knives) since he was 3 <I close eyes when watching because he played with his father's razor once and came into the sitting room with a bleeding cut face>. There is a Kitchen Chemistry thing on the Science Museum website so I might go that way. I'm torn between Motors & Generators and Genetics. Now I've had to add the Kitchen Chemistry one!

Thank you everyone. I never thought of looking at Science Museum website. thanks

JennyPiccolo Thu 04-Oct-12 14:32:52

Maybe some sort of kids cookery stuff? Cooking uses the same sort of logic as science but a bit more creative, iyswim

olympicaddict Thu 04-Oct-12 14:30:40

I think a science set with a microscope will go down a treat.

ethelb Thu 04-Oct-12 12:32:33

I was a sciencey child and really liked things like bug collectors, magnifying glasses, dinosaur models, or something like sunprint paper: www.amazon.co.uk/Tobar-5038728011096-Sun-Print-Paper/dp/B000H6QSOO

I got loads of presents from the Science museum shop when I was his age: www.sciencemuseumshop.co.uk/category/Kids-Gadgets/Outdoor-Gadgets.html

Gumby Thu 04-Oct-12 12:29:23

He has a brain?!!

How about Moshi monster sticker books

RuleBritannia Thu 04-Oct-12 12:28:17

How stupid of me. blush

His birthday is just before Christmas and he'll be 7. blush Sorry!

lljkk Thu 04-Oct-12 12:21:47

age?

RuleBritannia Thu 04-Oct-12 12:19:32

a little boy. His birthday and Christmas are less than a week away from each other so I always buy two gifts.

He has a brain and can read well but I've been told asked not to get any more books. He lives abroad so I can't get him clothes to return if unsuitable. He likes some scientific things so I have already got a thing where he will learn to make crystals but I need something a bit 'cleverer' for him, please. £25 for one gift and £15 for the other (because I already have the crystal thing). I am able to buy on the internet.

He's not into pop music thank God. Rides a bicycle but not competitively like his brother. He's a bit of an imp but I'm not going down the itching powder/stink bomb route. Any thoughts will be gratefully accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now