Need Christmas fair bulk buys

(20 Posts)
MySecretSelf Thu 04-Oct-12 23:18:01

What about the book people for book sets that you could split? E.g. 10 Julia Donaldson books for £9.99?

For dogs, I would second going to a wholesaler that does pet food and get the small, individually wrapped bags of treats by the major dog food mfrs. For example, James Wellbeloved do a little snack/treat called Crackerjacks (about the size of a bag of sweets). Buy a box of these at the wholesaler.

You could also encourage your DD to write to the major dog food mfrs as many of them will donate bags of food/treats for dog show prizes. Just look up people like Cobbydog, Burns, Wagg etc.

Alternatively, there are loads of recipes for doggy treats like biscuits etc that you can look up online, and then make up in batches, bag up and sell.

3duracellbunnies Thu 04-Oct-12 23:08:18

Agree poundland and 99p shops are your friend. Last year they had pet selection packs, you could buy them for a pound and divide into 3 or 4 separate presents. 99p shop had packs of rubber ducks too.

Tbh though it would annoy me if you just requested money. I often don't take any on the school run anyway (no shops so no need for money!). When we did similar requests we gave people the option. Some don't have much time and are quite happy to give a bit of money to save them doing it, others like me enjoy the fun of finding something, or might have something appropriate to regift.

wildpoppy Thu 04-Oct-12 22:45:53

Baker Ross (google) do craft stuff but also raffle prizes etc like beanie baby soft toys.

They have good cheap bath toys and rattles in asda living at moment.

Home bargains also do a Bob the builder book, 59p and board books for less than a pound

Babyrabbits Thu 04-Oct-12 19:24:11

The dog and cat toys are all pound shop lines....save your 3.50 postage.

Have a look in home bargains, they do great cheapy stuff, curly straws, cups, plates etc all good for little ones. Lots are 69p so you should make margin.

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 17:53:38

Exactly what I was looking for zombiebelle, at least for pets. Thank you so much!

ZombieBelle Thu 04-Oct-12 16:52:36

do you have any wholesalers nearby? We managed to get a card for our school for a place that had tons of really good value stuff. Someone has to go and get it of course but at least you get to have a look.

notso Thu 04-Oct-12 12:02:31

No help on bulk buying but DC's school has a non-uniform day where you either pay a pound or donate a new gift for school fair which works well.
costs me --nothing as I regift presents from in-laws

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 11:39:10

ethelb, at Xmas fair, kids will come in with pocket money (a couple of £) to buy presents for people in their families. We need cheap presents, donated by the parents in the school, for them to buy. It's just a means of hitting parents up twice to fill the PTA's coffers.

ethelb Thu 04-Oct-12 11:29:35

"just thought it would be easier to get people to contribute money we can use to buy stuff rather than the stuff itself."

I'm still confused. But they are going to buy it at the Xmas fair surely? Or are you suggesting they buy it back? grin

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 11:23:06

Thanks for suggestions - will give them a go. To those asking why school asking for this, I'm a year PTA rep and I'm coordinating for whole year. Knowing how shambolic my own situation is, I just thought it would be easier to get people to contribute money we can use to buy stuff rather than the stuff itself.

ethelb Thu 04-Oct-12 11:08:58

Sorry, to be more helpful i saw a thread on here where people made bags of "reindeer food" for this kind of thing. A paper bag of oats and edible glitter which is scattered to make way for the reindeer.

0-3 is a tall order due to safety problems so you prob can't do too cheap and a pet toy has similar restrictions. Tennis balls?!

Wooden animals?

Ebay searches for "joblot" and "carboot sale" are good if you can limit searches to collection only items - you're more likely to get stuff if there are fewer bidders, which there will be if people have to collect it.

Have a look here for ideas. Also incredulous that the school are asking you to do this. Are you sure that your DD doesn't have to bring just one toy in to contribute?

tinkfairy Thu 04-Oct-12 10:32:13

whole sale on ebay is best bet some work out to under 50p a item

ethelb Thu 04-Oct-12 10:28:17

that's a tall order. Do schools really ask you to do that?

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 10:11:53

ethelb - sorry not clear: Christmas fair at DD's school, each year takes an assigned stall to sell a certain kind of present, and the mums in that year have to fill the stall with presents. DD's year's stall is assigned presents for "babies and toddlers" and "pets". Looking for a website where I can bulk buy presents for each set. Does that help?

Thanks for replying smile.

ethelb Thu 04-Oct-12 10:00:52

Sorry I don't understand. what?!

mommybunny Thu 04-Oct-12 09:59:18

DD's year has the stall for gifts for 1-3 year-olds and for pets. Instead of having everyone come up with those kinds of presents we thought we'd try to bulk buy them online and wrap them up, on the theory that if someone hasn't contributed it's easier to buttonhole them to conjure up some money on the spot rather than a present.

Anyone have any ideas on good websites for such presents? We're looking for presents that work out to about £1 each if we can find them. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now