Less than 3 months to go! It's the DECLUTTERING FOR CHRISTMAS thread...

(603 Posts)
fuzzpig Sun 30-Sep-12 08:35:05

My house is a state! I am absolutely determined to declutter in time for Xmas this year. I have never managed it before blush

My main wants are:

- to clear out our tiny kitchen (it's a galley style, so small you can barely swing an atom let alone a cat!) so that cooking is less stressful and we will be more likely to do festive baking etc - another thing I've never managed to do...

- to do a massive sweep of all DCs toys, books and clothes. They have WAY too many, and especially with toys it means that new things don't really get appreciated because they get lost among everything else.

- to completely sort out our living room so it actually looks nice when decorated and there is room to play.

I am unable to do much ATM because I'm not very well, but this could be a long term thing so I don't want to just leave it - I want to do a tiny bit every day. Yesterday I collected a laundry bin full of recycling stuff - mostly pieces from some orchard toys games - some of which due to clutter have never really even been played with properly blush

I can't be the only one who needs to declutter for Xmas - who's with me?

TommeeTipsy Mon 24-Dec-12 21:10:46

I missed it too as went to the physio appointment.

Merry Christmas Cluttersluts.

Feel like I have made some real progress in the last fee months. Thank you Fuzzpig!!

poncyettia Mon 24-Dec-12 18:51:17

Bugger missed the 2pm link up angry

On the other hand, I have a reasonably tidy house, most of the prep done for tomorrow and am just about to sit down with the Baileys while I wrap the pressies.

Merry Christmas everyone grin

<<marks place for next year as well>>

Rowgtfc72 Mon 24-Dec-12 16:18:54

Ok. Opening the Baileys. Merry Christmas everybody grin

ILikeToHoHoHo Mon 24-Dec-12 15:28:17

The Baileys is open here.

Well Cluttersluts, it's been emotional grin and no doubt we will be doing this all again next year.

Many many thanks for starting the thread Fuzzpig thanks I hope your health goes from strength to strength x

Happy Christmas cluttersluts! Baileys open here!

Am cooking and having a Baileys coffee.

Hope you are all sorted and enjoying the day.

Rowgtfc72 Mon 24-Dec-12 10:53:18

Can I open the Baileys yet ? grin

Rowgtfc72 Sun 23-Dec-12 12:33:52

Pleased all is well with DS and yourself. Time for a break for us all I think. Kitchen almost done.Oven done and cupboards and floor. Tops of units, boiler, fridge. Pulled fridge, dog bed and washer out and I guess the moral is do this more than once every five yrs and it will be easier next time. Thanks for starting this thread Fuzzpig, Ive learnt that a little organisation and keeping on top of things although hard work at first makes for a much easier life ! Will be back tomorrow to raise my glass to you all. grin

fuzzpig Sun 23-Dec-12 09:59:51

Nearly there Cluttersluts! 2 more sleeps shock

We won't be getting any further now since we are out all day tomorrow. But I am pleased with what we have achieved under the circumstances! I am now back at full time for the first time since July shock and just about coping, we also had a mad dash to hospital with DS which was quite scary, but he is much better now.

House is acceptable (by our standards at least!), just got a few bits to sort out today and possibly a quick trip into town, but other than that I am resting to save energy for tomorrow and the 25th!

Wow Rowgtfc72 - that is a big list for today! Good luck with it all.

I need to wrap some presents this morning. Then make Ragu for tomorrows lasagne. Do a couple of loads of washing. Tidy and clean kitchen and utility room.

We are out for lunch but afterwards I will either be wrapping more presents or ironing. MIL is here for Xmas and has offered to iron so I may take her up on offer although she takes ages! She also offered to sew in buttons and things. Might ask her to do that while I iron. I hate sewing!

Rowgtfc72 Sun 23-Dec-12 07:10:39

Wish me luck, Im going in ! Today is the dreaded kitchen day. Cupboards to sort, oven to clean (half of which has been soaking in wash powder in the bath overnight). Have everything to wipe down, under washer and fridge/freezer to do. The dreaded junk drawer, that I cant shut anymore. Fridge and freezer to organise as at the minute Im just shutting the door quick so nothing falls out. The dog bedding needs a wash and I think I need to start a trifle and crack on with sausage rolls. Dh moved all his crap out the backroom yesterday so I have a clean table and empty floor and books in my bookcase. He even sorted the tower of stuff threatening to topple of the wall unit. Think when I crack open the Baileys he can have a Southern Comfort. DD is full of cold so hopefully my little ginger ninja will be able to sit quiet on the sofa instead of hopping up and down in my face all day and Dh is grabbing some last minute overtime at work so not underfoot !

ILikeToHoHoHo Sat 22-Dec-12 11:03:53

I defo peaked too soon!
DH has announced that he will be taking out the living room windows and replacing them - on Christmas Eve shock

I give up! It will not disturb my Baileys though grin

Rowgtfc72 Fri 21-Dec-12 20:14:50

Have come home from work to find hole in wall filled, painted and bookshelf ready for my books which have been sat in boxes for six years . And dh has put remote control car somewhere other than dining room table. However,and there always is one, his new shiny resprayed rear bumper is now gracing most of the back room floor. Hes taking dd Christmas shopping tomorrow so I will have a mass shift it/ tidy/ hide it session. Come on ladies think of that Baileys ! grin

Did we all peak too soon? Seem to have gone backwards here too!

Cleaner is here tomorrow though so I will do my usual tidy up in the morning. That at least is a lot easier than it used to be!

Spare room is ready for MIL arriving tomorrow night - just needs a quick dust and vacuum.

Utility room is a disaster zone again. Shouldn't take too long to tidy in the morning though.

The only major thing I didn't get sorted was my desk but I will just tidy as much away as I can. It's semi hidden my the Xmas tree so not a total eyesore.

Have added a bottle of baileys to my sainsburys shop which is coming tomorrow!

ILikeToHoHoHo Thu 20-Dec-12 13:52:09

I cleaned and decluttered like a bloody demon this morning. It is surprising what can be achieved in two childfree hours!

I don't think I'll get much done before d-day, but I will easily be able to maintain an acceptable level of clean and tidy.

Looking forward to the Christmas eve Baileys grin

I have always been untidy and allergic to housework, but I was wondering how the house had got so bad. I think I can trace a lot of it to the summer holidays. the boys and I were out a lot so I never bothered keeping on top of the clutter and mess. It's a lesson learned for next year. Hopefully!

fuzzpig Wed 19-Dec-12 21:12:24

Have gone somewhat backwards here, though still an improvement over all.

QueenMaeve Wed 19-Dec-12 19:22:13

I am going to do a major clean tomorrow. That will hopefully mean it will just be general tidying for the next few days.

Rowgtfc72 Wed 19-Dec-12 17:36:48

I may abandon the decluttering /tidying. As fast as I clear space dh spreads out. His remote control car is all over the backroom table,he has knocked a hole in the backroom wall to sort the damp (TWO WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS !! ) and his tools have returned. Im having the baileys though. I earned it ! grin

ILikeToHoHoHo Tue 18-Dec-12 15:27:30

Gah, after my blistering start the utility room is cluttered again. Luckily it's just a few things on work surfaces, but I'm cross with myself because it is mostly me who has left things in there.

The kitchen needs a quick going over too, but that shouldn't take too long. I will have two child free hours this week so I Can probably tackle them then.

The living room has remained clutter free though.

And yes, this should be an annual thing smile

Hi all! wondering where you all are!

Still pottering along here. Bedroom almost sorted. Decorations up. |Random stuff still lying around that needs tidying away. But we are almost there. Not as organised as I would have liked but a lot further than I would have been!

poncyettia Sun 16-Dec-12 22:24:36

I'm still here - life has sorta taken over the last few weeks!

House is still reasonably ok - just needs a quick going over tomorrow before my dm arrives for Christmas god help me

It will be fine as I know it will be done in one day as opposed to taking the week it usually does grin

Only 7 more sleeps to Baileys Day!

Rowgtfc72 Mon 10-Dec-12 17:14:42

After four weeks of full time hours Im back to twenty this week and as I had to take a day off to see dd in her carol concert and dh was into work early, after taking dd to school on my own this morning (never done it before-usually at work) I got to do four hours uninterrupted housework. The good work payed off. Was easy to put things away as we have less clutter and everything has a place !Still havent tackled the kitchen yet but managed to get all the sofa covers in the washer this morning in between watching Jezza Kyle grin

fuzzpig Mon 10-Dec-12 16:34:45

I wonder if this thread (The Christmas Cluttersluts?) will become an annual thing - hopefully we will have a much easier time of it in future years because of all the hard work we are doing now!

fuzzpig Mon 10-Dec-12 16:32:51

Hello all!

We are doing ok here. I'm just about managing work ATM and am keeping on top of regular housework. smile

pookey Mon 10-Dec-12 13:50:12

donated a high chair too!

pookey Mon 10-Dec-12 13:49:35

I haven't read this thread but really need to join. My house is a mess and we are in debt so trying to declutter by selling things! So far since octoberish I have sold a collection of books, dvds, a sling and 2 stair gates, a unopened toy adding up to approx £115! Also donated a huge bag of clothes. Still a long way to go, I don't mind selling things throwing is more of a problem. On the flipside I have bought way way way way way too many toys for dc this christmas, its like a compulsion I see a bargain and snap it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now