Less than 3 months to go! It's the DECLUTTERING FOR CHRISTMAS thread...

(603 Posts)
fuzzpig Sun 30-Sep-12 08:35:05

My house is a state! I am absolutely determined to declutter in time for Xmas this year. I have never managed it before blush

My main wants are:

- to clear out our tiny kitchen (it's a galley style, so small you can barely swing an atom let alone a cat!) so that cooking is less stressful and we will be more likely to do festive baking etc - another thing I've never managed to do...

- to do a massive sweep of all DCs toys, books and clothes. They have WAY too many, and especially with toys it means that new things don't really get appreciated because they get lost among everything else.

- to completely sort out our living room so it actually looks nice when decorated and there is room to play.

I am unable to do much ATM because I'm not very well, but this could be a long term thing so I don't want to just leave it - I want to do a tiny bit every day. Yesterday I collected a laundry bin full of recycling stuff - mostly pieces from some orchard toys games - some of which due to clutter have never really even been played with properly blush

I can't be the only one who needs to declutter for Xmas - who's with me?

Lovecat

Good start with dinning room table. I would just concentrate on the dinning room and only once it done then move to the next room. Also try not to think as the whole house needs doing and rather the xxx room needs tiding then it's not so daunting.

fuzzpig Mon 01-Oct-12 10:50:15

Definitely.

Baby steps!

Right I'm supposed to be working but as I'm t

hmm anyway..

As im too uncomfy to sit I might as well carry on the house sorting. First things first I need to Hoover all of downstairs, then I can declutter the living room shelves without treading the kids crumbs everywhere!

Oh it's a lot of effort though!

I am starting mine today. So far all the summer stuff is in the loft and winter stuff is down and being washed. A big pile of stuff on the livingroom floor to be e-bayed and sold.

Off all week so I am determined this will be a different house by Friday!

I am starting mine today. So far all the summer stuff is in the loft and winter stuff is down and being washed. A big pile of stuff on the livingroom floor to be e-bayed and sold.

Off all week so I am determined this will be a different house by Friday!

Nishky Mon 01-Oct-12 11:07:21

I am really pleased so far- I have to be careful as just come out of hospital after asthma attack. De- cluttering is going to be a big part of keeping me well- but I have cleared the bedside cabinet so that my toiletries can be put away - will be tackling clothes next. All stuff I can do while sitting in floor.

fuzzpig Mon 01-Oct-12 11:24:10

Take care of yourself nishky and don't do too much, though I do understand the physical need to declutter. I know a less cluttered house will be better for my health in many ways, not just for xmas, but it's so hard to find the balance between getting it done and not overdoing it!

I have done nothing today, got the DCs to school which is an achievement in itself, came back and had a lie down with DH, just trying to sum up the energy to hang out 3 loads of washing blush

Too wet to do washing today here (unless I want it hanging in the living room when DH comes home from his business trip, which I don't because it will overshadow my good work).

Well I've hoovered the hallway and living room, need to carry on into the kitchen but I needed a lie down.

fuzzpig Mon 01-Oct-12 11:42:00

We don't have a garden so hanging washing inside is normal here unfortunately sad

Ugh the rain is really not helping my grumpy chocolate craving mood!

Nishky Mon 01-Oct-12 11:56:51

Thanks fuzzpig.

Thanks also for starting this thread - I think it will be a great motivator and its nice to feel that I won't be al

Nishky Mon 01-Oct-12 11:57:14

Alone that is - nothing against al!!!

whojamaflip Mon 01-Oct-12 12:50:21

oh god I'm bored!

Seemed like a really good idea this morning - I now have a utility room which looks like a bomb site sad

might go and make lunch and waste a bit more time have another go later.

I'm hoping this thread will be good for me and everyones reports of what they have achieved will inspire me to keep going <dreams of a beautifully tidy house>

fuzzpig Mon 01-Oct-12 13:16:18

I'm bored too sad managed to get rid of a few more bits like jigsaw puzzles. There's only one left for the DCs now (DD doesn't really like them and most are too easy for DS)

I am being RUTHLESS! But slow. Haven't even hung out the washing hmm

Lexilicious Mon 01-Oct-12 13:21:09

CherryMonster - for a handyman that doesn't disappear for 6 months, try freeindex.co.uk - my first step yesterday to getting things done around the house included posting some of our outstanding refurbishment jobs on there. (screeding a floor in our house, replacing (a) a boiler (b) a vinyl floor (c) an extractor fan in our tenants' flat). I've already had quotes for all of them, and tradesmen are really keen. One tip is the smaller the job you post for offers, the smaller your 'radius' should be - no point in getting the first come first served five quotes clogged up with people from up to 25 miles away if it's just to change a light fitting. Well, it might be if you are very rural, but I'm greater London so 25 miles covers 6 million people!

Lovecat Mon 01-Oct-12 14:40:34

Oh jesus, why did I start this? Not that I shouldn't have it needs doing, but... first several items on the dining room table needed to be put away/washed in the kitchen.

This involved emptying the (full of clean dishes) dishwasher and putting dishes away to load in the 'new' stuff - not that we had dirty dishes rotting on the dining table, I hasten to add, it was pots and tupperwares that DD had filled with glitter and bits of chopped up plasticine when she was playing 'Olympic Hotel' (the 'game' that has blighted my summer!;) )

Sooo... I had no room in the cupboard for the pans I needed to put away so I pulled the contents out to sort them, noticed a nasty sticky stain on the floor of the cupboard so cleaned that, while I had the Jif out I wiped down the counter surface, pulled out the toaster and found it was icky behind there, have now done the same to the microwave... I need to go and do my weekly shopping in the meantime and now both the dining table AND the kitchen look like WW3 have occurred!

<weeps>

fuzzpig Mon 01-Oct-12 14:46:26

Yeah it's pretty much like pulling at a tiny trailing thread on a jumper isn't it... Pull it a little and it just keeps going! shock

Haven't done the regular stuff like washing but I have got armfuls of recycling to take out to the bin on the way to school so that's something (even though, again, it looks like nothing's been done at all!)

Lexi- thank you, thats brilliant. no i am not rural, am in a large town, my regular handyman is a mate of my dads but has always been irregular at turning up. he was diagnosed with ME 2 years ago, and seems to doing well now, but never turns up when he says he will. lovely bloke, but i cant do these jobs myself.

Yep It always looks like ww3 when starting but it so much better when done.

whojamaflip Mon 01-Oct-12 15:19:11

Shit - didn't realise the utility was THAT bad blush. 2 black bags of rubbish in the bin, 4 bags of coats for the charity shop, 2 bags of rags for the rag bin. 8 pairs of wellies chucked out (all with holes).

I haven't properly tackled this room for years - I even managed to find a large tin of fish food at the back of the cupboard - we last had fish about 10 yeras ago shock

On the other hand judging by the amount of cat and dog wormer and flea treatment I have found I also won't be near the vets any time soon!

fuzzpig Mon 01-Oct-12 15:35:49

We've never actually got to the stage of being completely decluttered. It feels like a pipe dream!

But, as I said, something has 'clicked' in my brain recently, just the fact that I've been able to throw out games for example is a massive deal so I'm quite proud of myself.

And I will NOT replace all the clutter by buying too much at Xmas. No, I won't.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 01-Oct-12 15:37:47

Lol @ the fish food.

That is an impressive amount cleared from your utility whojamaflip

I have cleared the window sill of doom <hurrah>, and thrown out the magazine rack and its contents. There wasn't one bloody magazine in it, just a load of shite.

I have filled my black bin, luckily it gets emptied this week.

How do we accumulate so much crap?

Well done, gold stars all round I think. Thank you for starting this fuzzpig smile

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 01-Oct-12 15:40:10

Oh, and I have sorted and filed all of the paperwork from the sill of doom <goody two shoes>

I wonder if dh will notice this evening? <hollow laugh>

fuzzpig Mon 01-Oct-12 15:40:12

You're most welcome - I think it's my most popular thread ever grin

Nah he oinly notice in 6mths time when he can't find that bit of paper which he hadn't filed away himself. So it will be all you fault for tiding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now