Countdowners united

(880 Posts)
MamaPizzaChristmasToppings Mon 02-Jan-12 17:16:00

grin

farrowandbawl Thu 10-Oct-13 18:00:19

Actually i've just realised...try looking at the Kindle Fire too...

MrsVamos Thu 10-Oct-13 18:25:19

farrow I Love You. Thanks for explaining it to me in terms I understand.

<note to self> unlimited broadband.

Right, I get the Nexus thing....which one should I go for ? Is 16gb enough for the kids and what they are likely to do/download ? I was looking at them in Argos and they do get quite pricey, but I do want to get the right one for them, not something that will only last 6 months, iyswim ?

Can they take photos/videos on the Nexus ? Or the Kindle Fire ?

<off to read up>

Farrow thanks so much, really.thanks In my house because I use the computer and can email and make a file and save it, I am classed as tech savvy, but I'm really not. I think I need to be brought kicking and screaming into the new world !

MrsVamos Thu 10-Oct-13 18:27:50

Oh ! Another thing ! This is how crap I am. I get the 'apps' thing, I think. Is it right that there are certain apps that are only available on ipad etc and not on others ?

How can I ensure the kids can only download free apps ? What should I do about them downloading films/tv stuff ?

I. Am. A. Tech. Philistine. blush

ChestyCoffin Thu 10-Oct-13 18:33:37

Hurrah here you all are!

mrs on the I pad you can restrict in app purchases and you have to have a password to buy anything.

Not sure about others tho.

farrow that's fabulous! I ended up with 2 DS games last year and only charged me for one.

I've been scouring yankee sites, have seen an advent calender......

<faints in delight>

ChestyCoffin Thu 10-Oct-13 18:38:04

I also looked at kindle fire hd pre I pad.

farrowandbawl Thu 10-Oct-13 19:04:07

Yes. Ipad only have certain apps that you can use. Andriod have loads more apps to use.

This is why I'd recommend an Andriod.

Apple have their own software.
Windows is the software on your PC or laptop. There are a few of these types of software. Lexus is another.

Andriod is another one, a more popular one and more userfriendly (easy to get the hang of) and is what most phones have if they are not an Iphone.

Apps are usually free, some charge a small fee. To pay for this, they must have an account that is linked to a bank card or bank account. If they don't have this, they can not download anything that needs to be paid for.

Most of these things have parental controls on them. Limiting them to be able to access only certain rated films and games. Like Sky and cable. You put in a code that is asked for when trying to access films and games above a certain age. This will be in the instructions.

16gb is the memory, BUT...sometimes the software (remember apple, andriod, windows and lexus?) takes up some of the memory. If you can, get the most memory you can afford. 16gb should be enough to see them happy for a while. You can get more memory by adding a memorycard that you can buy seperately. (These are like really small floppy disks, but hold shit loads of data (stuff they download)).

As an example..my phone is a galaxy ace. It had 8gig of memory left. After I downloaded a few apps and some music it was full...it wouldnt let me download anything else, without deleting some of what I already had. Not wanting to loose music I bought a memory card that fits into the slot on the side of my phone...I now have my entire music library (3000 albums) on there and room for more.

You should be able to do this with your tablet (make sure you can). There will be a little slot on the side (there may even be one on your laptop!) for the card to go into. Google memory cards for the make and model of your tablet and ta-dah! Buy one, push it in...and away you go.

I must remember to thank the ex. He taught me a lot of this stuff over the 11 years we were together.

When you get one, and I say this to everyone...get a firewall and ad block plus....you should have this on your laptop too if you haven't already. Firewalls stop the viruses, bugs and whatever else infecting your computer when downloading dodgy files.

Zonealarm is free and tells you when you are trying to access the internet or when something is trying to access your computer files.

AVG is free. Just google it, click on download and follow the instructions that appear.

Ad block plus - blocks all adverts. Those threads on MN where people comment or complain about the adverts? I don't see them. For me, they are not there. On MN or anywhere.

There are loads of these type of things. I'll go through some of them when the time comes if you want.
There's one for mobile phones. As well as protecting your phone from viruses, bugs and other nastys, you can also block calls from other numbers (say a twatty ex who wont leave you alone?).

It really isn't that hard to get to grips with. It's just a matter of finding out, what words mean what, what does what and how and why...once you've got that hang of it, you're laughing. It all sounds really technical and complicated, it really isn't. It's just like learning another language. You can say please, hello, goodbye and thank you in Madarin in a few minutes - this is exactly the same, just a different language.

farrowandbawl Thu 10-Oct-13 19:06:00

Chesty - whoah there, back up a minute...yankee candle advent calandar? Where? Can you post a link please?

(Hello darlin)

ChestyCoffin Thu 10-Oct-13 19:13:04

Helloooooooo.....

A link?!
Erm how would I do that? hmm

Currently saying out of stock sad
Def saw one on yankee direct. Am wondering if its a new thing that's not been released quite yet?

I must have one angry

farrowandbawl Thu 10-Oct-13 19:21:30

A link?

you open up another page on your browser.
Go to the page where you saw said item.
Click on item.
Move your curser to the top of your screen where the internet address is (something like http;www.mumsnet.com/blahdeblah#bollocks354234) and click on it. It should then be highlighted.
Right click and click on Copy.

Go back to your posting box on MN where you post replies. and click to make sure your curser is there.
right click and click on paste.

Under the posting box is a little tick box with "convert your links automatically" Click on it. and press post. Your link should come up.

farrowandbawl Thu 10-Oct-13 19:23:08
giraffeseatpineapples Thu 10-Oct-13 19:42:19

I had a free lego advent calender last year due to loads of screw ups with click and collect.

Love the idea of the yankee candle advent calender

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 10-Oct-13 19:46:47

Found the yankee candle set shall i link? Its so easy chesty a whole new world of linking awaits you!

ChestyCoffin Thu 10-Oct-13 19:47:38

I'm on I phone farrow

Total Internet heathen grin

ChestyCoffin Thu 10-Oct-13 19:49:46

Yes do it giraffes grin

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 10-Oct-13 20:03:08
ChestyCoffin Thu 10-Oct-13 20:04:47

But whhyyyyy is it out of stock??

<sobs in a corner>

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 10-Oct-13 20:12:08

Pretty sure it was in clintons - they def had the xmas set of 12 tealights

ChestyCoffin Thu 10-Oct-13 20:17:05

Went in our local clintons last week and wasn't any.

<wails>

MrsVamos Thu 10-Oct-13 21:16:47

farrow Once again, you are a star, thanks so much !

So, you would recommend the Nexus, is there a Nexus 7 or something ? Is it a better tablet ? Perhaps what I am really asking is, for you to tell me "go buy this one" rather than giving me a choice ! Just thought also, I saw a Nook that had a 9" screen I think, but surely 7" is enough ?

I was hoping to get a tablet with 16 or possibly 32 gb and add to it with a memory card...can I do that with the Nexus ?

Have heard good and bad about the Kindle, also, I was reading last night about a new tablet due out soon, the Asus something or other ? Although from what you have said about getting an older one that has the system sorted etc makes sense to me ! (Am I getting it ?)

I get the app thing, that should be easy enough to do, with parental blocking etc I would imagine....I can see that I am going to have to get them and have a play and familiarise myself and set things up to a certain extent.

Just a last question for now, where would you say would be the best place to get a tablet from ?

Thanks so much !

farrowandbawl Thu 10-Oct-13 21:40:53

OK Mrs.

Give me about a week (I've got homework that needs doing urgently and am only JUST begining to understand it).

I'll do the research but to be honest, I'm getting the kids one each from their dad so I'll be doing it for the both of us.

I just need to know, your budget, what they will be downloading, screen size and anything else.

MrsVamos Thu 10-Oct-13 21:53:06

thanks farrow

Oh my goodness, I didn't mean for you to do that ! If I can help in any way I will, if you need me to google for best prices etc pm me and I'll do my best.

Budget, I was thinking of £200-£250 per tablet ? I don't know if that's good or not ?! To be honest the only things I can think they would download would be apps, and possibly, if I can afford the gb, or the memory card, to allow them to, games, tv progs, films ? Usual stuff, I suppose. Screen size, it appears you don't get a huge difference really ? I think I would prefer a better system that will last longer rather than brilliant picture, if you know what I mean ? (I don't know if they all come with the ability to take photo's/videos but that would be nice to have).

Should probably also mention they are HE'd so will be wanting them to be able to use the tablet for online working, research etc, but I suppose that's inclusive with being online anyway.

As I said, if I can help in any way, pm me, and I'll do my best. I will be looking at the ones you have mentioned, to try to find my way and understand them, if we can work 'together' that would be amazing !

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 10-Oct-13 22:38:35

Haven't a clue about tablets but will keep my eyes open for you both too

They are coming soon chesty ... although it says 6 seasonal scents and 1 surprise but there are 8 christmas scents! Maybe it would be better to make your own advent calender and add in some of the other general wintery scents? then you could buy the thorntons snowman one for an accompanying advent calender fix grin

ChestyCoffin Fri 11-Oct-13 17:57:36

Evening all smile

Cor it's Baltic out there! Still not caving into the hearing yet tho.

Is that including the new christmas scents giraffe?
Am trying to be saintly on dirt so no thorntons snowman for me sad

Am very tech naive too mrs so I'm no use, apple all the way for me.

farrow how's the homework coming?

farrowandbawl Fri 11-Oct-13 18:00:52

It's not. sad

I can't get anything done at the moment. I'm having to ask for an extention as I'm getting confused with silly little things and the kids pissing me off by winding eachother up every five seconds. Unless I'm there watching them every minute of the day they start. It's pathetic. They're 13 and 10 FFS.

ChestyCoffin Fri 11-Oct-13 18:07:42

Do you manage to get any done while they're at school?

Must be tough with DCs, I found it hard as a single person.

You can do this

<waves studying Pom poms>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now