Countdowners united

(880 Posts)
MamaPizzaChristmasToppings Mon 02-Jan-12 17:16:00

grin

ISawMamaPizzaKissingSantaClaus Wed 02-Jan-13 09:31:54

Happy new year everyone!

Sorry for being quiet, had some quality family time. It doesn't happen often, so made the most of it. Plus we re-decorated our bedrooms, all looks sparkly and pretty now grin DS got some new IKEA furniture, we added on to his existing Stuva system because he had too many bloody toys for Christmas and I need to store them away

I'm staying here, who else is?

Anyone got any post Christmas bargains? I haven't really been out (I think twice in the last two weeks) and not seen anything.

70, I started the same again with the £2 coins. I have £6 in already. Unfortunately last year due to unemployment we had to raid it in summer as we desperately needed to pay bills, but even by summer it was something like £130, not bad. This year I shall keep it until December, at least I know I can.

ChestyNut Wed 02-Jan-13 10:31:55

Morning!

I like the jar idea but currently squirreling away all my extra cash for my holiday.
Can't believe it's come round so quick, only 2 pay days to go.
Am sooooo excited grin

Can we start a new countdowners thread, my phone doesn't like how long this one is hmm

Don't want to be alone over there tho.....

ISawMamaPizzaKissingSantaClaus Fri 25-Jan-13 06:56:28

11 months!!!

grin

ChestyNut Sun 31-Mar-13 15:01:25

Morning ladies!

I'm on holiday in Florida grin

It's fabulous and guess what I'm going to buy in Disney.......

Christmas tree decorations grin

Hope your all well thanks

purples Sun 31-Mar-13 15:58:15

WOW, sunshine..... I don't think I remember what that feels like....With all the recent snow, it feels more like Christmas here.....but at least the Easter eggs aren't melting in the heat....

Have a wonderful holiday smile

ChestyNut Sun 31-Mar-13 21:51:16

Thank you!

It's boiling here! Spent the day by the pool.
Was snowing when we left home hmm

Could spend a fortune on the lovely Christmas decorations they have on the parks.

No Easter eggs here, had a chocolate, nut, toffee apple instead.

<<fatty emoticon>>

purples Mon 01-Apr-13 13:33:09

It's wonderful to know someone is enjoying the sun, just remember your suncream...smile

Lovely idea buying Christmas decorations on holiday, it'll bring back wonderful memories of sunshine in the middle of winter.

I'm relatively new to MN and I've just stumbled across several wonderful threads about the lead up to Christmas.... I'm think I may join a few and try to plan a bit better for this year as I'm normally still wrapping pressies on Christmas eve!!!

Have a wonderful Holidaysmile

ChestyNut Tue 02-Apr-13 00:56:58

We usually countdown to Christmas in sleeps with threads IYSWIM?

Think we just had the one last year, hence the title. sad

The lobster look has gone now, just lightly shedding flakes all over now hmm

Where are the rest of you?

<<LAADDIEEES>>

confused

ChestyNut Sun 01-Sep-13 19:28:50

115 sleeps!

I've started shopping grin

MamaPizza Fri 20-Sep-13 19:39:58

<sneaks in>

Hellooooooooooooooo

<waits for echo>

Ooooh, Chesty is waiting in the corner. Well helloooooo!

I have been thinking about this thread on and off throughout the year, but work has taken over. I barley have time to breathe, let alone relax on the countdowners thread. But I will make time now, it's only 96 sleeps left! <hyperventilates. grin

So, what have we got already?

DSJamesHathaway Sat 21-Sep-13 08:14:51

I made my Christmas cards yesterday grin

ChestyNut Sat 21-Sep-13 10:21:11

Yay! Company!

I started shopping in August hmm
Just struggle on what to buy people.

Yankee candles have been reduced in Clinton so had to get one or two.

ds writing christmas cards is my most dreaded task, could do with a secretary!

Got some gingerbread lattes (sachet in a box) from Asda. Very festive.

What's on DS wish list this year mama?

DSJamesHathaway Sat 21-Sep-13 10:24:07

August?! That's late grin My family think I'm being good if I wait until July.

I'm thinking of wrapping the first batch of presents this morning but I need to find labels.

MamaPizza Sat 21-Sep-13 11:08:33

Woohoo! We are back in the game grin Welcome to everyone.

I haven't done shopping yet, but planning ahead big time. This weekend is clear out weekend (quick break atm obviously), emptying the spare bedroom known as 'junk room'. It will be turned into a playroom in the next two weekends to make room for the new crap toys. DS also agreed to finally sell on his six boxes full collection of Happyland, yay! Space and money! And he doesn't want his ELC play kitchen, that should also help make space for new stuff and give us some extra cash.

Thinking about what mischief our Elf Jingle will get up to this year, can't wait for him to arrive.

I'm going to start shopping soon, but will be mainly online. DSJames, that is VERY organized! Wrapping already? You deserve an award grin

Chesty, for the whole last year he has only asked for one thing. And I'm dreading this thing. Not because I don't like it (on the contrary, I love the idea), but he is too young only turned 4 last month. He wants a guitar!!! I am a musician myself and am trying to nudge him into piano / keyboard as it would be much easier for him to start with and the new playroom could accommodate one, but no it has to be a guitar. And bless him, every time we watch X-factor lo behold, most boys audition with a guitar and he desperately wants one. I just don't think his fingers can cope yet, not at that age. Can't find a teacher that would take on someone this young. Obviously he'll still get lots of other stuff like Scooby Doo things and dinosaurs, but if Santa doesn't deliver a half size guitar I'll have a sad little boy. Just don't know what to do. Ah well, at least I can count myself lucky that he hasn't asked for a drum kit wink

ChestyNut Sat 21-Sep-13 15:28:41

Today I am practicing my festive sweet making! Never done it before but am about to attempt macademia and cranberry bark.

Must test these things grin

Are you going to Elfy blog again this year? I loved the last one.

Good that DS is obviously going to be musical. Do they do anything children wise for guitars, toy one?

DS I daren't wrap as ill never remember what I've bought and rebuy it all.
Also take my birthday week off in December and wrap them then in front of Christmas with the Kranks DVD and the tree lights flickering.

What colour are you doing decoration/tree wise?

I'm usually red and gold but really fancy teal blue and silver, would go with living room but think it would be expensive to replace all the decorations at once.

DSJamesHathaway Sat 21-Sep-13 18:24:33

Feeling very smug because I have wrapped 9 presents.

Chestynut Cranberry bark sounds lovely. How do you make it and how long does it last?

MamaPizza Could you get him a smaller stringed instrument like a banjo?

I have green, white and silver decorations on my tree. Going to try to make some felt ones this year to add a bit of variety to all the baubles. Teal, blue and silver sounds lovely.

ChestyNut Sat 21-Sep-13 19:10:20

It's just melted chocolate mixed with whatever topping you want and reset
In a tray. Then you break it up and package up.

Going to do white chocolate and candy cane for family DCs at christmas.

In this house it will last 5 mins grin

DSJamesHathaway Sat 21-Sep-13 19:14:45

Do you temper the chocolate first? Sounds lovely. I'm imagining it with freeze-dried raspberries or popping candy and marshmallow.

MamaPizza Sat 21-Sep-13 19:15:54

Mmmh, macademia and cranberry sounds yummmmmm!

And 9 presents shock I have ordered the first this morning, only a Scooby DVD though.

Real half size guitars exist, made by 'proper' brands such as Yamaha and the recommended age is 4-6 years for that size. They are just a small version basically, still six strings etc. I just worry that he really wants it, then realizes that it isn't that easy and that the skin on his fingertips will hurt so much that he won't like it anymore and totally give up. Will have to go to local music shop in the next weeks and see what they think.

I'm thinking woodlands theme this year. Acorns, wooden decorations, owls, deers etc.. DH will kill me though as I spent far too much some money on the Nordic theme we had last year. I had teal, blue and silver once, looked lovely.

There will be an elf blog btw. So excited, he has been talking about Jingle throughout the year.

MamaPizza Sat 21-Sep-13 19:16:43

Oh man! Cross posting. Stop talking about chocolate, I'm hungry now but showered and in jammies and don't want to go out again. grin

ChestyNut Sat 21-Sep-13 19:18:14

Yummy! It's lovely!!

Erm not sure what tempering is ds grin
Melted it in the microwave, I'm no delia .

ChestyNut Sat 21-Sep-13 19:20:37

If I pop some in the post, may be with you for christmas mama

Oh it's so sickly but sooooo moorish

DSJamesHathaway Sat 21-Sep-13 19:22:08

Tempering makes it all shiny afterwards. Not sure how.

Elf blog sounds fun.

MamaPizza Sat 21-Sep-13 20:01:34

Just been looking through the elf blog, so many memories. If anyone is bored enough Linky

Microwave sounds much better than tempering. Even the masterchef people struggle with tempering. I can't cook either. Or bake. Or anything. the local chippy loves us

Seen this guitar with nylon strings so better for little fingers. Will definitely have to do more research now and if the music shop says to giv it a go I might actually try it. He really wants one, so there might be hope that he is going to play it properly.

ChestyNut Sun 22-Sep-13 10:51:33

Definitely no tempering then grin
Wasn't smooth as it had the macademia nuts in so looked nice.

Looking forward to this years elfy blog mama

I got some large sacks from the range yesterday. £1 each.
Had a look at the christmas decorations, have decided tree will have to stay same colours this year. Too expensive to change.

Supposed to be saving for holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now