Help me make flavoured vodka/gin. I'm a homemade virgin!

(45 Posts)
theladylovescupcakes Wed 23-Nov-11 15:12:12

would like to make some flavoured alcohol for gifting. a
Any tried and tested recipes or tips? Thank you.

gamingmum Fri 17-Oct-14 11:18:41

Two good ones are

after dinner mint vodka - no recipe just add as many to a bottle as can fit and top up with lots of vodka then into the dishwasher.

Salted caramel vodka - Make up a batch of caramel - about 1/4 of the bottle size. Pout into bottle. Dont worry if it hardens once inside. Top off with vodka and put in dishwasher. This one can take a few days to full absorb all the caramel. Once absorbed add a dash of salt and you are done! This one tastes amazing if you add it to hot chocolate for the adult touch.

mumonashoestring Thu 16-Oct-14 18:41:26

I did spiced orange brandy a couple of years ago, it was gorgeous - Lidl cheap brandy, a few cloves, a cinnamon stick, a star anise, and some orange peel taken off the orange very thinly, toasted for a couple of minutes and then dropped into the bottle while hot. It only took about 3 weeks to take on a really good flavour.

Laetissimus Thu 16-Oct-14 15:51:19

Apologies - would like to make skittles vodka for Christmas present so marking page
Couldn't find how to watch

worley Sun 28-Jul-13 16:35:39

Been strawberry picking with ds2 this afternoon.. Have a huge amount left over and searching google for inspiration of what to use them for...strawberry vodka a possibility and somehow I come across good ole mums net!! Should have just searched here first!!
Do I need to add sugar to strawberry vodka do you think?

P.s I realise this is a zombie read but showed up in my search...

Just made raspberry gin, the recipe I used was for 150g berrries, 150g caster sugar, top up 1ltr bottle with gin.

Apparently Lidl/Aldi gin is ok, I hope so because next is Sloe Gin and I usually make at least 6 bottles. Mine are from Ikea- 2.50 here, I get a few each time we go...

chibi Fri 31-Aug-12 00:15:30

apparently you get a big jam jar, put the fruit, tons of sugar and then the gin on a windowsill and then let it sit for like, forever. then strain it, and drink it. slowly.

precise quantities etc courtesy of my mother

<hic>

AndiMac Fri 31-Aug-12 00:10:38

You can make vanilla vodka by simply adding a split vanilla pod to a bottle of vodka. Or you can make vanilla extract by putting about half a split vanilla pod into a small bottle (vanilla extract bottle size) and filling it with vodka. Needs 6-8 weeks to infuse, but works a charm.

trumpton Thu 30-Aug-12 23:56:15

Raspberry gin. I made it with frozen raspberries last year. Just a bottle of basic gin and 500 gms raspberries and 500 gram of golden granulated sugar. Mix and store and strain through kitchen roll.

I found the cheapest way to get bottles was to trawl the supermarkets for cheap sauce and throw the contents away.
I then used glitter glue to write on the bottles.

ScottishBritishMNer Thu 30-Aug-12 23:37:05

I did Christmas pudding vodka for gifts last year which were popular gifts. I'm sure I have some left over in the freezer - I wonder how that will taste now!

I have a dead easy recipe for limoncello - I always have a batch brewing.

here

Ladyserendip3 Thu 30-Aug-12 15:28:02

Ooh, very inspiring ideas! I was just given some of this for a gift: muddycarrot.com/listing/English+Spirit+Coffee+Vodka+++37.5%25+ABV+++70cl/589/#.UD93F9aPWRo
and it's grand, but I may try my hand at the mint Aero myself once this bottle is gone- shouldn't be too long!

Ladyserendip3 Thu 30-Aug-12 15:27:31

Ooh, very inspiring ideas! I was just given some of this for a gift: http://muddycarrot.com/listing/English+Spirit+Coffee+Vodka+++37.5%25+ABV+++70cl/589/#.UD93F9aPWRo
and it's grand, but I may try my hand at the mint Aero myself once this bottle is gone- shouldn't be too long!

DonkeyTeapot Tue 28-Feb-12 12:02:35

I have just found this thread and have added vodka and sweeties to my shopping list. Rhubarb and custard is fighting with Werthers Original for first in the queue though.

ShirleyKnot Tue 29-Nov-11 17:23:57

<stern>

<<childish thnurkle>>

ShirleyKnot Tue 29-Nov-11 16:30:06

Recipe here

Watch out that there is NO PITH at all or it will taste really horrible and bitter

BettyCash Tue 29-Nov-11 16:19:32

Om nom nom.

Does anyone have a lemon vodka recipe, or have I missed it?

AvadaKedavra Wed 23-Nov-11 23:14:43

With vanilla pods and chillis I just pin prick them Shirley.

CTR - the overall verdict - before straining - of the Parma Violet one was that it looked "spermy" grin

ShirleyKnot Wed 23-Nov-11 23:11:09

1) No CTR - should it? <whistles>
2) That link is SPECTACULAR! The comments! OMG - OHMIGODDNESS! ZOMG!

Have you seen these?

Shirley, does the parma violet vodka remind you OF anything?

<<whistles>>

ShirleyKnot Wed 23-Nov-11 22:25:16

Oh and thank you theladylovescupcakes - DO IT! You can add Cola Cubes or Pineapple cubes or...anything that rings that nostalgia bell for you (Refreshers might be fun, or Wham Bars)

ShirleyKnot Wed 23-Nov-11 22:22:29

OOOh AK- is the vanilla vodka just a split pod added into a bottle of vodka?

<interested>

I am the parma violet weirdo and I agree that it is a one shot drink - I'm making stuff for Xmas and planning on a liquor tour grin

AvadaKedavra Wed 23-Nov-11 18:49:23

Parma violet one goes very scummy. And it smells lovely but after one sip you'll have had enough and the smell of it will make you feel ill [voice of experience]

I have had great results with vanilla, red chilli, the syrup off preserved ginger and licorice.

theladylovescupcakes Wed 23-Nov-11 18:36:02

Shirley, what a fab blog! Just had a wee look so far and I'm inspired. Off to shops tomorrow to buy me some vodka and sweets grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now