What kitchen gadgets do you recommend as gifts

(98 Posts)

I like to get dh kitchen gadgets - not electrical ones but things that help with cooking. Good ones in recent years have been:

Heavy ice cream scoop
Meat tenderiser
Recipe book holder
Sugar thermometer
Posh garlic crusher

Any ideas for others I could get him? What gadgets do you think are good?

I think our most used gadget, although tiny, are the Lakeland wooden tongs for extricating stuff from the toaster, toast from loaves that are a bit smaller than the usual size, (or breaks up in the toaster,) or for toasted teacakes, muffins, crumpets etc. We used to use a knife to fish it out beforehand, and I m sure I almost ended up with curly hair on a few occasions. These tongs are brill.

potato ricer is indeed a marvel. I was very hmm when I was given one as a present, but I take it all back.

If you're an omelette fan, the Lakeland pan is fab. I wonder do they do a bigger one for crepes that is equally miraculous? I love crepes (washed down with Brittany cider - yum yum!!)

Tagine? I wouldn\t use it enough, but I was talking to a friend the other day who went all misty-eyed about hers!

dementedma Sat 12-Nov-11 17:58:43

DD1 was a real foodie from an early age. She was only about 7 when she asked for a zester and a mortar and pestle for Christmas. Or a portar and mestle as she called it grin. Family laughed at us when we got her these things but this year for DD2s 18th birthday she made an 8 layer chocolate cake from scratch, covered with ganache, filled with caramel crunch and topped with a spun sugar cage.
Fab- u - lus!!

titferbrains Sat 12-Nov-11 18:10:36

Tiny hijack -does anyone have a good electric coffee grinder that does fine enough for espresso ?

StoneBaby Sat 12-Nov-11 18:28:33

I'm lurking on a potato ricer and may buy one, just waiting for the closing down sale of our local kitchen accessories shop blush

Taffeta Sat 12-Nov-11 18:43:45

grin @ "lurking on a potato ricer"

Is that legal?

I am liking the sound of the wooden tong toaster bits extricators.

tb Sat 12-Nov-11 18:59:35

I got a lovely little mini-mandoline from JL I think. It had a grating side and a slicing side, and is perfect for grating garlic and ginger.

LordOfTheFlies Sat 12-Nov-11 19:16:10

Wooden tongs- I got a pair from Lakeland-dirt cheap too- so that DS can make his own toast without electrocuting himself.

On my wish-list:
An ice maker (electric not a scabby ice tray)
A really nice , massive cutlery set at least ,oooh, 84 pieces.

Jcee Sat 12-Nov-11 19:20:42

YY to silicon oven gloves and apple corer/slicer thing

Apologies for mini hijack, but anyone got one of those electric rechargeable corkscrews? Are they any good? I suspect not but DH covets one

Want2bSupermum Sat 12-Nov-11 19:23:13

Gadgets that I use a lot are:

Microplane - get two, one fine and one regular. Don't get the one which is 1" wide as difficult to clean. The 3" wide ones are better.

Braun coffee grinder - black for coffee and red for spices.

Braun hand blender with attachments - the chopper is great for baby food, hummus, pesto etc and the stick is good for soups and milkshakes.

Knives - DH had global ones and I like them. I expanded the collection with Japanese ones from a kitchen supply shop (less than half the price of retail).

French wooden implements such as wooden spoons, tongs and spoonulas.

BerylStreep Sat 12-Nov-11 19:55:58

You must get a Stirr.

This is an amazing gadget - automatic pot stirrer, which honestly, until you have one, you will never realise you needed it so much.

Soups, sauces - anything which needs regular stirring.

(for those who already have one - you will know what I mean when I say it is also ahem the housewife's friend) wink

OriginalPoster Sat 12-Nov-11 20:57:36

Yoghurt maker Lakeland, not easi yo, the electric one. It is fab and only £20, saves a fortune in yoghurt.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 12-Nov-11 21:04:58

Joseph Joseph Index chopping boards

Uphillbothways thank you - the nut dish is brilliant

Mammonite Sat 12-Nov-11 21:20:50

joseph joseph things: double sided chopping board, fridge magnet spoon measure (brilliant).

titferbrains You want the Krups burr grinder. It is used daily in our house - and you will not get a better coffee anywhere in these isles.

<barricades door against caffeine-deficient MNers>

piebald Sat 12-Nov-11 22:09:46

To add to things you didnt realise you needed is a battery operated pepper grinder-its so good you can season with one hand and stir with the other

jennifersofia Sat 12-Nov-11 22:20:22

A really good bread knife is fantastic if you buy unsliced loaves. We have one by Sabatier bread knife that is really good.
This knife, which might look a little gimicky, is one of the most useful knives we have used - brilliant for picnics, travel etc., it is properly sharp, a good length and good for spreading (and easy to find in the grass!) picnic knife.
Also digital scales are super useful scales if he is into baking. Cast iron frying pan which can go from stove top to oven also great skillet. I could go on!

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Sat 12-Nov-11 23:25:05

banana holder wink

Oh, this is great, DP loves kitchen gadgets, so many gift ideas here (and quite a few that I'd like for myself too).

My suggestions are:
Potato ricer (seriously, I was dubious until I got mine, but wow. I adore it now).
Food mill (picked a great one up in Italy, but am sure they can be found in the kitchen dept of John Lewis / House of Fraser or similar). Great for lovely chunky soups.
Mezzaluna
Good knives - my sister's DP's Mum bought them an amazing set of Japanese knives last Christmas, I covet them.

KenDodds, I have been lusting after that index chopping board for aaaages. Actually went to Meadows and Byrne (which is kitchen heaven for me, and the nearest place that stocks them) recently to get one, and they were out of stock. Pfffft! My DCous has one, and every time I'm in her kitchen, I eye it like a hungry lion eyeing a wildebeest. Must drop many hints to DP grin.

JulesJules Sun 13-Nov-11 09:21:23

Well I would also recommend the potato ricer - I never mash potatoes any other way now.

I have a mezzaluna, which is very satisfying to use, but have just bought these herb scissors from Clas Ohlson which I'm stupidly happy about blush

Cast iron casserole - le Creuset or Sainsbo's (see Mumsnet swears by)

I want a jam pan and thermometer. And one of those fiendish looking apple peeler/corers. And an ice cream maker that doesn't have to go in the freezer... <strokes Lakeland catalogue>

TracyK Sun 13-Nov-11 10:46:11

www.firebox.com/product/1109/Voodoo-Knife-Block These are suprisingly good knives as well as being quirky and a talking point.

I also like the apple corer - you can also use it for coring cucumber and maing tiny circles of stuff??

I also got a www.firebox.com/product/2722/Cherry-Chomper which is also good - keeps your fingers getting cherry stained!

nocake Sun 13-Nov-11 11:19:53

For my last birthday my sister bought me a pair of fish pliers. Not only are they useful but they're beautifully made in stainless steel. A really lovely present.

nocake Sun 13-Nov-11 11:23:00

And the person asking about coffee grinders... the best ones are burr grinders, rather than ones with a chopping blade. You should also keep your coffee grinder for coffee as spices and garlic will leave flavours behind that will taint your coffee.

miserablemum Sun 13-Nov-11 12:26:58

I'm really really tempted to get DH this for Xmas or his b'day

http://www.johnlewis.com/231255667/Product.aspx

I know he would completely love it forever......but its £££ so not sure I can justify it.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now