What kitchen gadgets do you recommend as gifts

(98 Posts)

I like to get dh kitchen gadgets - not electrical ones but things that help with cooking. Good ones in recent years have been:

Heavy ice cream scoop
Meat tenderiser
Recipe book holder
Sugar thermometer
Posh garlic crusher

Any ideas for others I could get him? What gadgets do you think are good?

SummerLightning Sat 12-Nov-11 11:05:59

We also use our wet and dry grinder all the time.

YY to potato ricer and microplane graters. I would choose a one piece metal ricer though, our Lakeland plastic one is good, but a bit fiddly to take apart and get clean and I always worry the arms are going to snap.

Silicone spatulas and tongs are brilliant.

StoneBaby Sat 12-Nov-11 12:33:05

A few suggestions:

A mandoline
A good heavy wooden chopping board
Pasta maker

WhatIsPi Sat 12-Nov-11 12:35:08

I want a new really good set of electronic scales and a new kitchen timer as I cant do without one and dd has just put it in the washing machine and it has gone through a hot wash grr.

I would also like a lovely big jam pan as I always borrow my friends - I realise this is not a gadget though grin

newmum953 Sat 12-Nov-11 12:35:10

LordOfTheFlies: Giving someone a knife is considered "severing the friendship". However, if you give a coin with the knife it counteracts the superstition.

CointreauVersial Sat 12-Nov-11 12:43:44

Posh oil bottle - you can get some nice stainless steel ones
Salad dressing shaker
Coffee maker (i.e. italian stove-top expresso maker)

Pasta making is a good pastime for a kitchen-savvy man and there are a wealth of gadgets associated with it (spaghetti dryers, extruders, ravioli trays....) which will keep you going for many Christmasses to come.

Earlybird Sat 12-Nov-11 12:49:03

Rice cooker
electric meat thermometer
new tea towels and oven mitts (not a 'gadget', but I'd wager most households would welcome fresh ones)
hand held 'wand' mixer (no idea what the proper name is)
panini press

Fwiw - most of my friends and family would find it hysterical that I am offering advice about anything in the kitchen! grin

EverSoLagom Sat 12-Nov-11 12:58:37

Last Christmas I got my OH a proper pan and a huge, super-thin spatula designed for making crepes.

WhatIsPi Sat 12-Nov-11 13:09:43

Ooh yes I would like one of those jugs that separates the oil and pan juices for gravy making.

sancerrre Sat 12-Nov-11 13:33:20

DH is getting a massive pepper mill, if I ever find one. It will make him feel manly while he's cooking.

rockinhippy Sat 12-Nov-11 13:51:29

one of those apple cutter/corer things,
good icecream scoop - surprised at how much we use ours, as it was only bought to tackle digging out a pumpkin.
hand blender

Ja9 Sat 12-Nov-11 13:56:24

Great thread! Wish youhad posted before i finished my xmas shopping though!

rockinhippy Sat 12-Nov-11 13:58:56

Oh & an electric Pepper Mill - I was bemused to find DH & a group of his hairy arsed mates discussing how much they covet those things grin - one heavily hinting for it as a wedding presentshock

If you don't have silicon oven gloves already GET SOME! They make me so happy [loser emoticon]

If you often eat pistachios or anything else with shells/stones this double dish is good.

trumpton Sat 12-Nov-11 14:56:02

Oi! Sancerre HERE !

Clarabumps Sat 12-Nov-11 16:40:49

i second the potato masher- i am always on a quest to find the perfect one..[ disappointed face]

WhatIsPi Sat 12-Nov-11 16:47:46

Love the mental image of a dh hovering over you in the manner of an Italian waiter with his oversized pepper mill.

HoneyPablo Sat 12-Nov-11 17:00:53

But kitchen utensils are not really proper Christmas presents, though, are they? Are they?
I would not appreciate anything kitchen related for a present. I remember when my dad bought my mum a micorwave for Xmas in the 80s. She loved it. I would never dream of giving DH a kitchen-related gift and he would not dare buy anything like that for me.

Gah, I looked at this thread for ideas for my present, and I already own it all.
I love kitchen stuff.

WhatIsPi Sat 12-Nov-11 17:13:02

I would love some expensive pan[s] for christmas honeypablo - I really cant justify buying them for myself.

Am also slightly coveting a new style deep fat fryer, saying to all and sundry that I would be doing tempura of all sorts when really I would be cooking chips morning noon and night...grin

Taffeta Sat 12-Nov-11 17:21:24

I want this

And this

And this

<random>

Taffeta Sat 12-Nov-11 17:22:45

Clarabumps- the perfect potato masher is a potato ricer. End of.

Honey - reminds me of my Dad. One year he bought my Mum a peg bag and some pegs to go with. She didn't speak to him for a week.

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 12-Nov-11 17:25:53

One of the best kitchen thingys I was given was a pizza pan- it has a holey plate that sits on top of a pan and does the same job as cooking the pizza on the oven shelf but without the drippy cheesy mess you get on the oven floor.

Electric carving knife is also very useful.

rhondajean Sat 12-Nov-11 17:29:07

I bought myself a fab hand whisk a few weeks back. You push up and down on the handle and it makes anything into foam pretty much.

Id have been delighted with it as a present too.

knitknack Sat 12-Nov-11 17:42:21

Taffeta - DS2 and I made the victoria sponge from that book today and it is the lightest, fluffiest, most delicious "victorian" (ds2) sponge any of us have ever eaten!

We've gone mad for cooking today - chocolate fudge, choc eclairs (ds1's cooking choice), vic. sponge, whiskey fudge and a chorizio and chickpea stew for dinner.

Phew... fun though smile

This thread is making me drool, by the way!

Are there any cooking books your DH likes? The little river cottage bread book is also excellent.... does he have a pizza stone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now