It contains

Triathlons
Skiing
Mountain climbing
Ballet
Pets
Smallholding
Surfing

It was even delivered by email, not because they are hard up, but because they are greener than the likes of us.

I feel I may have had my Christmas climax a bit early!

jardy Thu 06-Jan-11 16:21:40

jugglingjo ! Ok,I will send one out,I`ve changed my mind,it seems a bit mean if they genuinely liked them enough to say so,thankssmile

jugglingjo Mon 20-Dec-10 22:11:16

Hi Jardy,

Not everyone has the time or energy to put a good RR together.

I think it's a slight shame if you don't send one to those who ask.

Few will laugh if it's sensitively written with lots of nice, friendly pics.

But obviously it's your call !

jardy Mon 20-Dec-10 19:39:22

i work hard to make my rr newsy but not boastful at all and photos to make it a bit interesting.If I dont get one back i dont send,then i am asked please send us your rr.
Trouble is,i think some recipients like to snigger and so ask if they can have one.But this thread has made me change my mind about sending ones to those that request.Cos I think it is to laugh.Therefore if they dont send one they are not getting one and i hope they get the message.angry

Greenshadow Sun 19-Dec-10 12:14:35

Perhaps you lot who get 'braggy' RRs from your friends need to change your friends....
Most of the few we receive are factual and often funny - great to receive.
We tend to send them when we get round to remembering to write one in time - ie every 2 or 3 years and then I think we end up deliberately playing down successes and probably end up sounding a family of failures!

cakewench Sat 18-Dec-10 19:58:29

Not read the whole thread, but I just wanted to say I actually like these sort of letters. I know there the braggy ones, but luckily I don't seem to know those sort of people. I only get them from a few friends from back home, but I like to see what they've been up to. We keep in touch on FB, but I don't hear everything.

LondonMother Sat 18-Dec-10 15:33:38

Bit hard to top that opener, Sieglinde! Loving this thread.

sieglinde Sat 18-Dec-10 15:22:42

Erm, I never send them because I get so many grim ones from competitive friends - 'dd has passed Grade 7 harpsichord'.

I had thought of compiling something cheeringly downbeat this holiday season - we still haven't fixed the shower or finished papering the living room, dd's astigmatism is worse, I might need more surgery in the New Year, dh's firm have decided not to pay bonuses this year, my father has gone a bit doolally, the dog is now officially incontinent, my pension contributions are up by 2.5%, no, I still haven't finished the magnum opus or pulled in a giant slab of grant money,only minnows .... All true. But it isn't very pleasant reading when the schadenfreude is over. And even a mumsnet posting is a bridge too far towards self-pity. Besides, it would trigger compeittion in misfortunes. 'My cancer is back'...

I did once get one from a very old acquaintance which began, 'Well, as you all know from the press, James is in jail this Christmas'....it went on to list the usual sporting triumphs.

sphil Sat 18-Dec-10 14:11:50

Jugglingjo - Im sure you're right and I know they didn't mean to be insensitive. We're still friends!

nickeldonkeycarrymary Sat 18-Dec-10 14:00:47

Kristingle - photos of new babies, dogs, summer hols of beach, grannies 80th birthday are fine.
bragfest of how very smashing someone and their mandarin speaking advanced for age children is not.

grin

scottishmummy Sat 18-Dec-10 13:46:21

a bragfest of how very smashing someone and their mandarin speaking advanced for age children are is not my cup of tea

Kristingle Sat 18-Dec-10 13:43:01

You are a hard and cynical lot. I LIKE seeing photos of new babies, dogs, summer hols of beach, grannies 80th birthday etc

scottishmummy Sat 18-Dec-10 13:40:40

i dont know anyone so bawheided as to send those braggy letters

vulgar

nickeldonkeycarrymary Sat 18-Dec-10 13:22:33

I don't think we'll ever send one! shock

when we wrote our cards, I put a quick update note in some of them, and when DH went to sign his name, he said "blimey, writing essays in these!"
hmm

He had to write his own RR because he sends cards to people he never sees (old bosses and some people who used to go to our church but mved away) - he actually had to ask me if he should put my name in the card because they didn't know he was now married shock .
So i made him write a RR in them briefly to explain who this "andrea" was.
it went:

It's been a busy year - the most important thing was that I married andrea in august. (bit i can't remembeR) and I'm really enjoying being married!
mum is still in a residential home on ####### and is keeping well.
I'm still the organist at St Michael's and still a postie. Andrea runs a bookshop in the High Street.

and that was the whole thing! grin

but he had to write it out by hand 4 times, so....
Bless grin

duvetdays Sat 18-Dec-10 11:36:00

My parents used to get a photograph every year from a family with 10 children (she had 4, he had 4 and they had 2 together) they used to stand around a Henry Moore or something on their huge estate and the diamond on the wife's finger seemed to get bigger and bigger and their chests kept puffing out. As the children grew up and moved away, some of them would get edited into the pic but not terribly well - slightly too big heads etc. wink Don't know what happens now as their numbers extend to the size of a small country.

jugglingjo Sat 18-Dec-10 11:04:37

Dear Sphil,

Possible though that they didn't give much thought to who they were sending their RR to, as they raced through their address book.

I guess that's one of the hazards of the round robin.

I'm sure they wouldn't have been so insensitive if they were writing individual notes in cards.

sphil Sat 18-Dec-10 08:59:54

We got one a few years ago which listed all the words their two year old could say ('triceratops'etc). As DS2 had just been diagnosed with autism with the main symptom being severe speech delay it was particularly sensitive...
And they were close friends too - no chance that they just didn't realize.

pippitysqueakity Sat 18-Dec-10 08:10:32

Only time I was ever mentioned in one (to my knowledge smile was when was jilted week before wedding. 'Squeak is coping well with disappointment '. Was nearest have ever been to suicidal at that point...

kickassangel Sat 18-Dec-10 04:56:57

we have friends who do sections from each of the kids - written in the first person, even when they were only a few months old.

cringe.

crabb Sat 18-Dec-10 04:09:10

Our local newspaper referred to them today as "boast it notes" smile

BerylStreep Fri 17-Dec-10 22:59:58

If my MIL sends one (which I suspect she does, but we don't get copied into) it would read as follows:

DD blah blah boast boast
Other DD blah blah boast boast
DS (my DH) blah blah boast boast, we have such a close relationship, life is wonderful, I am so close to his DC, in fact I look after them every week. hmm

I know this because we get a constant feed from DH's cousin, whose Mum and my MIL are frenemies grin

Never let the truth get in the way of a round robin.

usualsuspect Fri 17-Dec-10 22:37:37

I've never had a round robin sad pm me one if you like grin

cariboo Fri 17-Dec-10 22:33:06

We've never sent a round robin but enjoy receiving them so we can take the piss.

This year is problematic. How do you send ANYTHING when you're in the thick of a divorce?

coodles Fri 17-Dec-10 22:23:24

Unfortunately we get several every year.

The best/worst was one sent some years ago. The format was that of a Christmas tree shaped quiz.

Every clue was about the senders, ie where did Gary and Emma meet?

Where did Gary's brother get married?

What start up company did Gary work for in 1999?

Etc. There must have been about 25 clues. In one word, it was complete and utter............

TWADDLEBOLLOCKS.

DorothyThompson Fri 17-Dec-10 22:22:18

it's a tangent, but what I hate is people who sign off their round robins /xmas cards from their pets as well as themselves. tres twee non?

mckenzie Fri 17-Dec-10 22:13:10

my friend had one today that was 14 pages long!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now