MN Christmas Appeal 2010: your last chance to donate or nominate

(133 Posts)
rebeccamumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Oct-10 12:02:10

Welcome to this years Christmas appeal. Here at MumsnetTowers, we have been busy planning and prepping our spreadsheets - and now we're ready for the off <girds loins>.

Little bit of history for those who are new to the whole idea: over the past few years, Mumsnetters have offered to donate gifts to other Mumsnetters in need over Christmas. And you have also nominated Mumsnetters to receive these gifts. Each year, a particularly saintly Mumsnetter has volunteered to match up the donors with the nominees and organise a mass posting of presents. This year, though, we feel the Appeal has grown so large, it is too much for one person to co-ordinate - so we have put our own heads on the block decided to do it all at MNHQ this year.

So...

If you would like to donate something to the appeal, could you please email donations@mumsnet.com. You need to include what you are donating. Vouchers are usually the best bet, we've found over the years, but you are also welcome to donate new toys, clothes and books for children or "nice smellies" for adults. Secondhand toys/clothes are fine, too, but do really need to be in very good nick, please.

IMPORTANT: if you have something particular in mind, please specify CLEARLY the details of your donation e.g. Tesco voucher or new toy for a 4 year old boy or a bundle of clothes for a 6 month old girls, nearly new. Or, if you want to donate and are happy to wait to find out what's needed before you donate it, please say: VOUCHER (ANY) or TOYS (ANY) etc

If you would like to nominate a fellow mumsnetter (they have to have been a member for at least a year to qualify for nomination) then please send your nominations to nominations@mumsnet.com. You should include the mumsnetters (correctly spelt, pls!) Talk name and your reason for your nomination.

All nominations and offers of donations must be with us by Friday 22nd October.

Once all the names are in, nominees will receive an email by Friday 5th November, telling them they've been nominated, and will need to reply by Friday 12th November with their address, number and ages of children. Nominees need to be aware that their address will be sent to an undisclosed fellow Mumsnetter but no RL or MN names will be exchanged.

Nominees details will then be matched with donor details <flourishes spreadsheet nervously> .

Donors will have the addresses of nominees they've been matched with by Friday 26th November so that gifts can be sent well before the final Christmas post. Each Donor and Nominee will be allocated a number eg. Nominee 27 or Donor 63 to maintain anonymity and to allow nominees and donors to post on the boards with messages of thanks etc.

If you have any further questions or any extraordinary nominations, then you can email me directly on santa@mumsnet.com. But please use the email addresses above for all other enquiries - or your email might well go astray.

Merry Christmas everyone

aristocat Tue 05-Oct-10 12:07:17

smile yipee xmas is on the way .....

Well done.

I hereby offer to send a large bottle of gin to MNHQ which I think will be sorely needed at the end of all of this! grin

rebeccamumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Oct-10 12:14:19

I will hold you to that Bud wink

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 05-Oct-10 12:29:09

Done

Well done MN - very brave good of you to organise it all.

I've emailed the donations address - I couldn't be involved in previous years because I didn't have CAT, so I am very pleased to be able to contribute this year.

I forgot to say in the email, I'd be happy to include some smellies for a mum in with vouchers/toys for a child.

paisleyleaf Tue 05-Oct-10 12:49:47

All looks good so far.
What can go wrong? grin

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 05-Oct-10 12:53:39

Hurrah MNHQ, good on you for taking on such an animal smile

rebeccamumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Oct-10 12:58:25

You didn't just say that aloud did you Paisley ? <covers ears>

PandaEis Tue 05-Oct-10 13:08:18

i have emailed the donation thingsmile when we get the address to sent to could we also get the sex of the child(ren) in the family? i would like to sent something for the kiddies too ya seesmile

Hassled Tue 05-Oct-10 13:24:01

Nothing can possibly go wrong. These things are usually pretty straightforward, aren't they wink?

snice Tue 05-Oct-10 13:34:36

yes, apparently its a breeze and the whole thing can be sorted out in a lunch break or two

<passes marker pens, rubbers, Tippex and post-it notes to MNHQ>

fillybuster Tue 05-Oct-10 14:00:42

Excellent...thanks for taking this challenge on sorting ir our, MNHQ

Wot PandaEis and SDTG sed is good - it would be good to know what dcs & how old they are if you're doing a mums gift in case we want to stick sumfing extra for the kids in....

fillybuster Tue 05-Oct-10 14:01:12

<ahem> "sorting it out". Keyboard fighting back. Sorry...

CMOTdibbler Tue 05-Oct-10 14:15:04

Hurrah !

Hassled Tue 05-Oct-10 14:19:35

snice - you're being all unnecessary with the "lunch break or two". Surely something as easy as this could be sorted out on the bus on the way home?

snice Tue 05-Oct-10 14:28:14

only if the big girls let you sit on the back seat so you could spread all your stuff out

HowsTheSerenity Tue 05-Oct-10 14:28:36

Excellent!!

BuzzingNoise Tue 05-Oct-10 15:23:37

I don't know why it isn't already sorted telepathically.

MrsWeasley Tue 05-Oct-10 17:33:28

ITS CHRISTMAS (Noddy Holder styleeeee)

deemented Tue 05-Oct-10 18:03:20

Have emailed the donations too smile

thisiswhataluv Tue 05-Oct-10 18:19:37

i would love to donate this year and can afford to but i donated last year and the recipient said thanks for the vouchers but when i sent other items a few days later after verifying childrens ages i didnt get so much as a thankyou, this has really put me off donating this year...sad

thisiswhat I think you have to accept that thanks would be lovely but don't always happen

Think of that nice warm glow you had when selecting items and hang onto that feeling

[hug]

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 05-Oct-10 18:27:40

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now