Ingredients2 fillets of firm white fish eg haddock/cod
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp cooking oil
pinch of turmeric
1 cup Basmati (or other) rice
1 fish stock cube
Fish sauce (optional)
Knob of butter
Handy HintFish sauce can be added towards the end of the rice cooking time for extra flavour. Frozen peas can be added halfway through rice cooking time, if desired. Substitute single cream for butter for an extra rich version, or Creme Fraiche for a lighter one!
Method1. Rinse rice in cold water and drain
2. Heat oil in deep frying pan. Fry onions until they soften. Add rice and fry for a couple of minutes until glazed and slightly translucent
2. Make up fish stock and add enough to cover rice
3. Add turmeric (makes rice yummy yellow)
4. Simmer gently, stirring regularly, and adding extra stock as it evaporates
5. Meanwhile, hard-boil two eggs (6 to 8 minutes). Set aside to cool in cold water
6. Microwave fish fillets in covered microwave dish until firm and cooked through. Roughly chop/flake into pieces
7. Shell hard-boiled eggs, and roughly chop
8. Once rice is cooked, stir in fish, eggs and butter.
Serve with a fresh green salad.