Ingredients1 tin green lentils
2 slices wholemeal bread, whizzed up into crumbs
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 courgette, grated
200g mixed nuts, chopped
100g cheese, grated
A pinch of chilli flakes
1 egg, beaten
A little olive or walnut oil
You will also need an oiled loaf tin, lined with greaseproof paper
Handy HintThe courgette and carrot can be interchanged with a layer of cooked French beans or asparagus.
Method1. Heat the oven to 180C.
2. In a large bowl combine the lentils, carrot, courgette, breadcrumbs and chopped nuts.
3. Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil until soft. Throw in the chilli flakes at the end for a minute or so and then add the mixture to the mixing bowl of dry ingredients.
4. Stir thoroughly and then add the grated cheese and egg to bind.
5. Press the mixture firmly into the loaf tin. Cover the top with tin foil.
6. Place in the oven for 40 minutes with the foil lid.
7. Remove the lid and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
8. Turn the loaf onto a plate and serve in slices with a watercress salad and cranberry jelly.