IngredientsGammon joint (unsmoked)
Stick of celery
4-5 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
For the glaze:
Handful of whole cloves
15g mustard powder
45g soft brown sugar
Handy HintIf you think the joint is salty, soak overnight in water or for an hour or so before cooking. Most supermarket joints don't need it nowadays.
Method1. Cover the joint with cold water, add an onion cut in half with the skin on, a roughly chopped carrot, a stick of celery, some whole peppercorns and the bay leaves.
2. Boil for 25 minutes per 450g.
3. When it has finished boiling, drain, keeping the liquid for soup, and let cool for a few minutes. Remove the skin from the ham if there is any, but leave an even (not too deep) layer of fat.
4. Score a diamond criss-cross pattern on the fat - making sure you don't cut into the meat itself - and stud the point of each diamond with a clove.
5. Mix 15g mustard powder and 55g soft brown sugar into a paste and rub onto fat.
6. Bung in oven at 240C for around 10-15 minutes, checking regularly to prevent burning.