Ingredients6oz/175g softened salted butter
9oz / 250g plain flour
4oz/120g caster sugar
4oz/120g soft brown sugar
6oz/175g dried banana chips, broken into little pieces (optional)
3 medium bananas, mashed
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
Handy HintI always use silicon bakeware to make these, either a silicon muffin tray or a little mini silicon loaf tray that makes 12 little log shaped cakes. You may need to bake them for a few minutes more if you are using lighter coloured metal bakeware as darker tins bake quicker and produce a darker colour on the crust.
Method1. Preheat oven to 375F/190c/Gas5.
2. Grease a 3cm deep muffin tin/silicon mini loaf tin/silicon muffin tin or put muffin cases in your tin.
3. Put butter and both sugars into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Gradually add the beaten egg ensuring each addition is well incorporated.
5. Stir in the mashed banana and vanilla essence.
6. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix in.
7. Add banana chips if you are using them. Mix in.
8. Add spoonfuls of the mixture to your baking tin/cases until 3/4 full. This does not rise unduly.
9. Bake 18-20 mins then test for doneness. Keep in oven another minute if underdone.
10. Cool then turn out and don't expect them to last longer than an hour- they are like cake crack.