Ingredients125g plain flour
125g wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2-3 tsp of soft brown sugar (crumbled over mixture)
250ml buttermilk (almost all of a 284ml tub)
Oil for greasing baking tray
Handy HintIf you don't want a hard crust to form, wrap the loaf in a clean tea towel when it's had a moment to cool after coming out of the oven.
Method1. Sift both flours into a large bowl. Add back the extra bran flakes left in the sieve to the bowl.
2. Now add in the salt, sugar and the buttermilk.
3. Mix first with a wooden spoon and then lightly form with floured hands into a small ball.
4. Take a sharp knife and cut a deep cross in the top of the loaf.
5. If you like, you can also sprinkle some bran flakes on the top of the loaf at this point.
6. Put on a very lightly greased baking tray in the oven at Gas Mark 8/230C for around 12 minutes. After that turn the oven down to Gas Mark 6/200C for 15 more minutes.
7. Take the loaf out and test it - it's done when you hear a hollow sound if you knock the bottom of the loaf.