Ingredients450g pork shoulder (diced)
1 cooking apple (chopped)
Handful of mushrooms (chopped)
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 large carrot (diced)
3 slices streaky bacon (chopped)
450ml chicken stock
200ml of cider (optional - but if not using, add another 200ml stock)
Salt and pepper to taste
Sage (1 or 2 fresh leaves chopped) or 1/2 tsp dried
1 tbsp of creme fraiche
Handy HintIt's nice with either baked potatoes, or crusty bread, and lovely with rice. You can leave out the creme fraiche for dairy-free, you can leave out the cider if you want to use it for babies. (mine had it one they were eating lumpy food, you simply shred the pork for them.) This can also be done in the slow cooker - just brown the steaks first then bung everything in.
Method1. Heat a frying pan and brown the pork steaks
2. Put the steaks in a casserole dish and lower the heat.
3. Add the bacon, onions and carrots, and cook until the onion is just starting to colour.
4. Add the mushrooms and apple, then cook for another minute.
5. Slowly pour in the cider (if using) and deglaze the pan, then tip all into the casserole dish and add the chicken stock
6. Season to taste - I like to throw in some sage as well.
7. Cover and cook on around 180C for about 90 minutes.
8. Take lid off, stir in creme fraiche, then put back in oven but turn the oven off and shut the door.
9. Serve with green vegetables.