Ingredients6 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
125g firm courgettes
140g wholemeal flour
140g plain flour
115g caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
Handy HintVariation - VEGETABLE AND CHEESE MUFFINS - omit the sultanas and sugar. Add 2 finely chopped spring onions and 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese.
Method1) Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
2) Grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
3) Grate the courgettes and squeeze out any excess moisture. Place in a bowl and grate in the carrots.
4) Sift together both flours and the baking powder into a large bowl, stir in the sugar and sultanas.
5) Place the eggs in a jug or bowl and beat lightly, then beat in the buttermilk and oil.
6) Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the beaten liquid ingredients and add the grated vegetables.
7) Stir gently until just combined, do not overmix.
8) Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.
9) Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
10) Leave to cool in the tin for 5mins then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool.