Ingredients15g brown rice
15g small green or brown lentils
1 small onion
100g butternut squash (or pumpkin)
100g chicken breast
Pinch ground coriander
Pinch ground cumin
Dash olive oil
Approx. 4 tbsp boiled water
Handy HintServe immediately or freeze in ice cube trays for a maximum of 1 month. A good way to use roast chicken. Just cut to taste and add to the vegetables once cooked.
Method1. Put the rice and the lentils in a sieve and give them a good rinse. Check for stones which are sometimes found in lentils.
2. Add the rice and lentils to a pan of boiling water and cook for 25-30 minutes until tender.
3. While the rice and lentils are cooking, finely chop the onion, peel and chop the vegetables into small cubes and cut the chicken into small pieces.
4. Heat a very small dash of olive oil in a non-stick pan (with a lid) add the onion and sauté until see through, then add the carrot, squash, chicken, herbs and spices and sauté gently for a couple of minutes.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of water, put the lid on the pan and reduce to a low heat. Stir every 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
6. Drain the cooked rice and lentils and add to the cooked vegetables and chicken. Add a tablespoon or 2 of boiled water to the ingredients.
7. Use a fork to mash the ingredients together. For a smoother first weaning recipe, blend using a hand blender until the desired texture is achieved. Add more boiled water if the texture is too thick.