Ingredients2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp water
200ml beef stock
1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp water
Few drops Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp tomato pureé
350g peeled potatoes
4 x 60g minute steaks (fillet or rump, about 5mm thick)
Method1. To make gravy, heat 1 tbsp of veg oil in a frying pan. Add onion and cook for 7-8 mins until just turning golden brown.
2. Stir in sugar and water, increase heat and cook for about 1 min until water has evaporated.
3. Stir in beef stock, cornflower mixed with 1 tbsp water, Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins until thickened.
4. For the sauteed potatoes, cut the potatoes into large chunks, bring to te boil in lightly salted water and cook for about 8 minutes until they are just tender.
5. Drain and cut into 1cm thick slices. Heat the butter in a frying pan and saute the potatoes for 5-6 mins, turning occasionally until golden brown and crispy.
6. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, season the steaks and fry for 1-2 minutes each side. Serve with the gravy and sauteed potatoes.