Ingredients175g butter (soft)
175g caster sugar
225g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
75g ground almonds
200g glace cherries
1 tsp almond extract
1-2 tbsp milk
Handy HintThis also tastes lovely with custard. You could cut a few big slices and serve for pudding with custard and slice the remaining in to fingers and save for packed lunches the next day.
Method1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 3 / 160 C / 325 F.
2. Grease the sides on an 8 inch square tin and line the bottom with some grease proof paper.
3. Wash the syrup off the cherries and cut in half. Pat dry on some kitchen paper and put aside.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together until light, pale and fluffy.
5. Gradually beat in the whisked egg a little at a time.
6. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the mixture using a metal spoon.
7. Mix in the cherries and the ground almonds. Add the almond essence and the milk.
8. Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and level off the top with the back of a spoon.
9. Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour.
10. Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
11. Slice off the domed top of the cake and turn the cake over.
12. Slice into fingers. About 24 small ones or fewer, larger ones.
13. Mix some icing sugar, water, and a few drops of almond extract. Drizzle over the slices.