Ingredients200g medium wholemeal flour
150ml lukewarm water
2 tbsp oil
Ghee or butter to spread
Plain flour to dust
Handy HintRoti is a flat wholewheat bread - great for kids to have for lunch with salad or a meat/veg dish. Keep rotis covered with a clean tea towel, not a container, as steam given off by hot rotlis will dampen the rest.
Method1. Take a mixing bowl and add the flour and oil.
2. Mix the two together with your hands and while kneading gradually pour in the water.
3. Add remaining 50ml if you want a softer mix. A softer dough allows you to produce a much thinner chapatti that will not crack at the edges when cooked.
4. Knead the dough for about 2-3 minutes. The dough should be smooth.
5. Cover for 10-15 minutes.
6. Put a teaspoon of oil onto your palms and knead once more, very briefly. Divide the dough into 13 equal parts.
7. Before you start to roll, dust each flattened ball with plain flour and use a rolling pin to make a thin circle measuring about 14-15cm in diameter.
8. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place your roti into it. As soon as you can see little bubbles appear on its surface - usually within 30 seconds - turn it over onto the other side. Cook the other side for 30 seconds. Then place it under a preheated grill or directly onto the fire to bloat.
9. Place your cooked roti on a plate and smear with a little melted ghee or butter.