Ingredients1 butternut squash (peeled, de-seeded and chopped)
4 or 5 carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
1 large onion (chopped into chunks)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic (crushed or chopped)
Dash of sunflower or olive oil
1-2 tbsp curry paste
2 rashers of bacon (chopped - optional)
1l (approx) chicken or vegetable stock
Grated nutmeg (optional)
Handy HintCan be made vegetarian by omitting the bacon and using vegetable stock rather than chicken.
Method1. Put the chopped onion in a large pot with a splash of oil.
2. Put the pot over a low to medium heat with the lid on and let the onion sweat for a few minutes.
3. Add the chopped garlic, curry paste and the bacon if using. Stir over a medium heat for a few minutes. The amount of curry paste you add will depend on how spicy you like it. Add some grated nutmeg if using.
4. Add the chopped butternut squash and carrots. Stir for a minute or so, then add the stock. Top up the pot with water to ensure the vegetables are covered.
5. Put the lid on and simmer for about 30 mins.
6. Remove from the heat and blend to a smooth soup. The easiest way is with a handheld stick blender. Alternatively transfer to a blender, but be very careful with the hot soup.
7. Taste and add salt and pepper generously to taste.