Ingredients250g onions (finely chopped)
100g mushrooms (finely sliced)
500g pack puff pastry
2 eggs (beaten)
100g cheddar cheese (grated)
250g fresh breadcrumbs
250g chive cottage cheese. Plain cottage cheese and handful of fresh chopped chives is fine as well.
Handy HintFor a non-vegetarian option, ham can be added. I serve hot with new potatoes or cold the next day. Fab eaten cold at a picnic.
Method1. Fry the onion on a medium heat until tender, put on one side to cool.
2. Roll the pastry out to a large rectangle.
3. Put the egg into a large mixing bowl, keeping back 2 teaspoons of it for the glaze.
4. Add all the ingredients to the bowl, mixing well and season.
5. Spread the mix along the centre of the pastry
6. Make slits in the pastry diagonally about two inches apart nearly to the mix, then plait, sealing as you go with water or egg.
7. Place pie on a baking sheet sealed edges down.
8. Make large diagonal slits in the top. Then use remaining egg to glaze.
9. Bake the pie in a hot oven 220C (gas mark 7) until pastry is golden and cooked. 25-35 minutes.