Ingredients1 fresh pineapple
1 tbsp brown sugar
175g butter (room temperature), plus one tbsp for frying pineapple
175g self-raising flour
175g soft brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract (or Malibu, if you dare!)
3/4 glace cherries
A tart tin
Handy HintThis is a lovely retro cake, redolent of sweet trollies and the like, but thoroughly deserving of a resurgence.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C, Gas Mark 6.
2. Core, peel and slice the pineapple into rings.
3. Heat the tbsps butter and sugar in a pan and 'fry' the pineapple slices on both sides until caramelised. Then place the pineapple slices in the tart tin.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla/Malibu.
5. Fold in the flour until all combined - go gently, too much mixing makes a heavy cake.
6. Dollop the cake mixture over the pineapple, ensuring even coverage and bake for 25-30 minutes until just firm to the touch and just coming away from the sides of the tin.
7. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then cover with a plate and flip over deftly (ha!), leaving the pineapple uppermost.
8. Now put a glace cherry half in the centre of each pineapple slice if desired.