Ingredients2 cups flour
1/2 cup superfine sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 tsp powdered cinnamon (or ginger)
2 tbsp currants (or caraway seeds)
4 tbsp butter
A pinch of salt
Handy HintSwap the cinnamon for a few drops of Oil of Cassia, it's the traditional method so you can get that distinctive taste you remember as a child. People replaced Cassia with mixed spice and such things, but it doesn't have the same taste to bring the memories flooding back.
Method1. Sieve the flour, cinnamon and salt into a basin.
2. Rub the butter in.
3. Stir in the sugar.
4. Separate the eggs.
5. Beat the yolks and add to the mixture.
6. If it is too dry, add 1 egg white.
7. Add the currants.
8. Roll out very thinly and cut out biscuits with a fancy cutter.
9. Put on a greased baking tray.
10. Cook in a cool oven for about 15 minutes or until very pale brown in color.