60g caster sugar
60g soft dark brown sugar
60g golden syrup
360g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Colourful boiled sweets
Method1. Heat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Melt the butter with both types of sugar and the golden syrup. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add the melted butter and sugar mixture and mix together.
3. Knead the mixture for a few seconds until it comes together, adding a teaspoon or so of water if necessary, taking care to keep the dough soft but not sticky.
4. Flatten the dough into a round about 2cm thick, wrap with cling film, and leave to chill for 30 minutes.
5. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the dough to about 0.5cm thickness. Stamp out shapes using a Christmas cutter or regular round ones.
6. Put each shape on to the baking tray and cut out the centre of each one and replace the empty space with a boiled sweet. Make a small hole at the top of each biscuit (to feed a ribbon through for hanging on the Christmas tree).
7. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray. The boiled sweets will have melted, creating a stained glass effect. Thread ribbon through each biscuit and use to hang on the tree.