Ingredients2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup lemon and orange candied pieces
1 orange (zested)
60ml cup booze (rum, whisky, Pimms, whatever you've got)
3/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Handy HintIf you want to make this in advance, you can wrap it in baking paper and foil and inject it with booze at regular interval if you want it to last. If you don't want any booze in it, replace it with three teaspoons of vanilla essence and serve as a kids' party cake!
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C (170C if you have a fan oven).
2. Place raisins, candied fruit and grated rind in a bowl, give them a stir and soak them in Pimms for 10 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter, then beat in the eggs one by one. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together, then add gradually, mixing till combined. Add the soaked fruit and rind, then mix with wooden spoon.
4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper. Pour in the mixture and smooth its surface.
5. Bake for 75 minutes, check the cake and continue baking till a toothpick or skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
6. Cool in the tin, then transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. If you wish to ice this cake, wait until it's cold.