Ingredients2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion (finely chopped)
2 carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
4 sticks of celery (trimmed and finely chopped)
2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and finely chopped)
3 fat cloves garlic (finely sliced)
1 tsp each of ground cumin, ground coriander and ground cinnamon
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
2 x 410g tins chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
Method1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes and garlic.
2. Cover and cook gently for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are softened, stirring now and again.
3. Stir in the spices and cook gently for a minute until it starts to smell fragrant.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and chickpeas and 2 tins of hot water from the kettle. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Season.
5. Whiz the soup with a hand blender in the pan until most of it is smooth but some chunks of vegetable remain. Or whiz most of it in a blender, then return to the mixture.
6. Check the seasoning before serving.