Ingredients800g lamb (diced) - neck fillet is good for this
1 tbsp flour
3 medium leeks (sliced thickly)
Garlic (2 or 3 cloves to taste)
500ml lamb stock
150ml double cream
Potatoes (waxy ones are best) sliced to the thickness of a pound coin
Thyme and parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
Handy HintServe in big bowls (with crusty bread if you're feeling really piggy).
Method1. You can do this all in a big casserole to save on washing up.
2. Sweat the onion and leeks in butter for 10 mins or so. Put aside.
3. Toss the lamb in the flour and crush the garlic in with it, season with salt and pepper, brown the meat in the olive oil. Put aside.
4. Put a layer of potato on the bottom of the casserole, then add the meat and leeks and another layer of potatoes on the top.
5. Pour in the stock and add the herbs and bring to the boil.
6. Put a tight-fitting lid on and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours at gas mark 5 (190C).
7. Take the lid off, add the double cream and dot the potatoes with some butter, put back in the oven (lid off) for half an hour or so until it starts to brown.