Ingredients400g lean beef mince
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
2 cans (400g) chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs
500g semi-skimmed milk
3 tbsp cornflour
130g grated cheddar (plus additional 50g for the topping)
A grating of nutmeg (optional)
Method1. Mix the mince, salt and pepper, then shape into balls that are just a bit smaller than golf balls. Bake in the pre-heated oven until brown all over. Remove and set aside while making the sauce.
2. Add the onions to the same pan and fry for 5 minutes or until soft and slightly golden. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
3. Pour over the tomatoes, tomato puree and then add the fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Add the meatballs back to the pan and cook for 15 minutes while you make the cheese sauce.
4. Heat the oven to 200C. Heat the milk in a non-stick milk pan until tiny bubbles start to form around the edges. Place the cornflour into a small dish and pour over 5 tbsp of the hot milk. Mix together to form a paste then return it to back to the milk pan.
5. Over a low heat, stir the milk until it starts to thicken. It will get lumpy as it thickens but it will eventually smooth out. Add grated cheddar, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
6. Pour the meatballs into an ovenproof dish, and then coat them with cheese sauce.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.