Ingredients225g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
175g muscovado sugar
225g grated carrot
2 medium eggs (beaten)
3 tbsp corn oil
juice 1 orange
For the frosting:
225g low fat soft cheese
4 tbsp icing sugar
Handy HintYou can do this low fat carrot cake recipe without the frosting if you wish to limit the amount of sugar eaten.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Prepare a round cake tin with baking paper.
3. Place the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and salt into a bowl.
4. Add the sugar and carrots.
5. Beat together the eggs, oil and orange juice. Add them into the dry mix bowl. Mix the ingredients together well.
6. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for about 1 hour, until firm to the touch or when a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Beat the soft cheese until soft, sift the icing sugar. Mix well.
8. Remove the carrot cake from the tin and add the frosting.