Ingredients1 (5oz) can solid light tuna, packed in oil
110g cooked fragrant rice (such as jasmine or basmati)
6 medium-size black olives (drained, sliced and coarsely chopped)
1 small tomato (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
1 tsp garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped finely)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 large tomatoes (beefsteak varieties work well)
4 lemon wedges
Handy HintMake it easier for the kids to help by letting them use an ice cream scoop to fill the tomatoes. These mini salads are as eye-catching as they are delicious. Easy enough for kids to help make, they would make a perfect lunch for the whole family.
Method1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C/Gas Mark 6.
2. Coat a square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
3. In medium sized bowl, combine tuna, rice, all but one teaspoon of the olives, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, vinegar and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Slice the top off 4 large tomatoes and scoop out the flesh and seeds.
5. Fill to top with tuna and rice mixture. Place tomatoes in baking dish.
6. Bake stuffed tomatoes in oven for 12-15 minutes or until filling is hot.
7. Remove, garnish with chopped olives and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.