IngredientsFor the meringue:
6 large egg whites (at room temp)
350g caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp white wine vinegar
For the red berry sauce:
800g strawberries and raspberries
40g icing sugar
1 lemon (squeezed)
300ml whipping cream
Handy HintThe meringue always tastes better if you've made it the night before.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 7.
2. Draw a 20cm circle on some baking paper.
3. Take a baking tray, rinse it with water, then put baking paper on top.
4. Whisk the egg whites in a bowl till frothy.
5. Sprinkle over the caster sugar a few tablespoons at a time, whisking as you go.
6. Whisk in the cornflour, then the vinegar.
7. You should now have a stiff, glossy meringue.
8. Spoon the meringue mixture onto the baking paper circle and smooth the surface.
9. Place in oven, then immediately turn temperature down to its very lowest setting.
10. Bake for 90 mins to 2 hours.
11. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Or, if making the day before, turn oven off and leave in oven till you're ready to make the sauce.
12. To make the sauce, put about a third of the berries, all the icing sugar and the lemon juice into a liquidiser and purée.
13. Pass the purée through a sieve into a bowl to remove the pips. after tasting add more icing sugar or lemon as required.
14. Whip the cream.
15. Peel the baking paper from the meringue and put the meringue on a big plate.
16. Pile the cream on top.
17. Mix the remaining berries into the berry purée and spoon over the cream.
18. Serve straight away.