Ingredients8 pork sausages
225g (8oz) dried black beans (soaked overnight and rinsed)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
1 large red onion (chopped)
1 green or red pepper (deseeded and chopped)
2 sticks celery (trimmed and chopped)
2 carrots (sliced)
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1/2pt beef stock
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp crushed chillies (dried)
1 tsp ground cumin
Dash of Worcester sauce
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to season
Handy HintSwap the pork sausages for vegetarian sausages and the stock for vegetable stock to make it a hearty veggie dish.
Method1. Preheat the slo-cooker on high. Rinse the beans and put them in a large pan of water.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer to the slo cooker.
3. While its simmering, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion,celery and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onion has softened.
4. Add the carrots, pepper, crushed chilli, paprika and cumin, cook for a further 3-4 mins, stirring frequently. Transfer to the slow cooker.
5. Put the frying pan back on the heat, add the sausages and cook until browned. Add the tomatoes, Worcester sauce and stock,and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Transfer it all to the slo cooker and add the bay leaf. Cover and cook for 6 hours on high.
7. Remove the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper then serve with mashed potato or a salad.