The eggs' weight in softened butter
The eggs' weight in caster sugar
4 tbsp milk
The eggs' weight in self-raising flour
Handy HintAdd cocoa powder with the flour for chocolate cake. Fold in nuts/choc chips/cherries/orange or lemon rind, to ring the changes. Also makes a great fairy-cake mixture.
Method1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. Grease 8-inch sponge tins.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
5. Add a drop of vanilla essence, then the milk.
6. Fold in the flour.
7. Divide the mixture between the tins.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until risen, golden and springy to touch.
9. Cool on a wire rack.