IngredientsApproximately 1kg lamb shoulder, cut into chunks (alternatively leave whole)
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400g tin chickpeas, drained
Large onion, chopped
Small butternut squash, chopped and peeled
250 ml beef/lamb stock
125 ml red wine
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 stick cinnamon
Handy HintYou could up the quantity of butternut and chickpeas to bulk it up easily.
Method1. Heat oven to 160 degrees
2. Brown the lamb in a little oil and then place in a casserole dish
3. Lightly saute the onions and garlic in the juices left over from the meat, adding a little oil if necessary.
4. Once the onions are softening and cooking, add the spices and stir in, adding some water if it's too dry.
5. Add the flour and stir until absorbed, then add the wine/stock slowly, stirring and the tomatoes
6. Once it starts to boil, add the honey, tomato paste, cinnamon and bay leaves.
7. Pour over the lamb and add the butternut to the casserole dish.
8. Cook covered for about 75 mins then open, stir, pour in the chickpeas, re-cover and put back in the oven for about 30 minutes.