Ingredients175g (6oz) cranberries, fresh
50g (2oz) icing sugar, sifted
150g (5oz) flour, plain wholemeal
150g (5oz) flour, plain white
15ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice, ground
1/2 tsp salt
50g (2oz) sugar, light brown
250ml (8fl oz) milk
50ml (2fl oz) vegetable oil
Method1. Mix the icing sugar with halved cranberries.
2. Take a 12-cup muffin tin and grease with butter or use paper cases.
3. In a bowl mix the brown sugar, salt, mixed spice, baking powder and both flours. Make a hole in the middle.
4. Add a mixture of beaten egg/milk/oil into the hole and just blend. Then add the cranberries and quickly stir. The end product should be a rough mixture with lumps and air pockets visible. [Note: Instead of the cranberries you can use mincemeat (225g, 8oz) to put in the hole.]
5. Take this mixture and fill the muffin cups to two thirds and bake at gas mark 4 (180C, 350F) until they are golden brown and well risen. About 20 minutes.
6. Cool for a bit and serve warm.