IngredientsRecipe is for two, 7" sandwich tins, but if you hav 8", use three eggs.
McDougal's Supreme self-raising flour
White caster sugar
Handy HintIf you want a lighter (but potentially less flavoursome sponge) use half butter and half marg (tip given by famous WI judge)
Method1. Grease and line your two sandwich tins and make sure all your ingredients at room temperature before starting.
2. Preheat oven to 160-180 (you may need several practices at this recipe to find the perfect temperature for your oven.)
3. Weigh eggs (in their shells), and use the weight of eggs to measure out how butter, sugar and flour to use. (If the eggs weighed 120g, for instance, then measure out 120g of butter, sugar, and flour.)
4. Cream together the sugar and butter using electric hand mixer (or if you prefer, you may use a wooden spoon if you are peculiar with large, muscular arms).
5. Beat eggs in a seperate jug until mixed, but don't froth them up too much.
6. Slowly add the eggs to the sugar and butter, a little at a time. If the mixture curdles, you are being an impatient bugger, so add a tbsp of flour to the mix.
7. High sift the flour into its own bowl to aerate it.
8. High sift the flour again, about a third at a time and fold in using a large metal spoon. (Don't use a wooden spoon here you utter twonk.)
9. When all the flour is combined with the rest of the ingredients, gently divide between the sandwich tins.
10. Run a clean, dry finger around the edge of each cake to prevent lippage.
11. Put in the oven for 20ish mins. (Again you will need to have several practices to find the optimum time for your cake.)
12. When cakes are well risen, golden brown and the top bounces back when you press them LIGHTLY, remove form oven. Leave to cool in tins for 10 mins.
13. Turn out onto cake racks covered with a tea towel to prevent rack marks, and leave to cool completely.
14. Place least attractive looking cake half on a doily, on a white plate, and add a thick layer of raspberry jam. (DO NOT EVEN THINK about adding cream, or whole raspberries or any other such nonsense, you will be disqualified.)
15. Place other sponge carefully on the top (smooth crust uppermost).
16. Add dusting of caster sugar (I pity the fool who dusts with icing sugar.), then take cake very carefully to Village Show.